Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
Egypt manager Gharib wants early league start
The EFA previously announced that the 2014/15 league year was to kick-off by mid-September. However, the Pharaohs are due to begin their 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying campaign on September 6 against Senegal, meaning Gharib’s choice of domestic-based players will have been idle for over two months. Gharib’s staff says it prefers a mid-August start to the league.
EFA executive Tharwat Swailum said the association was “discussing the request,” but would not comment further.
Egypt has played three matches thus far under Gharib’s tutelage, including a 2-0 defeat of Bosnia & Herzegovina, a 3-2 loss to 2014 FIFA World Cup surprise package Chile, and a lackluster 2-2 draw with Jamaica.