AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
Zamalek: Mido remains manager despite league failure
Through their official Twitter account, Zamalek SC stated that the board has renewed their confidence in the 31-year-old manager, ending all controversy surrounding the matter following their 2-1 loss to Smouha on Wednesday night.
قرر مجلس ادارة نادى #الزمالك تجديد الثقه فى المدير الفنى ميدو وإستمراره مع الفريق مع منحه كافة الصلاحيات فى معاقبة اللاعبين المقصرين.
— Zamalek SC (@ZSCOfficial) July 3, 2014
Thursday morning, following the defeat which ended their title hopes, Mido tweeted that he had ‘returned as a [Zamalek] fan once more’ which hinted that the former Tottenham man could have arrived to the end of his coaching time at the White Castle.
During that series of events, Zamalek chairman Mortada Mansour had released several statements on Egyptian television regarding his team’s failure of not winning the league title this season. Mortada said that this Zamalek squad has become addicted to defeat and that half of them are ‘only good enough for a women’s football team’.
While discussing the possibility of replacing Mido, Mortada said that there’s a big chance that the eventual successor will be an Egyptian coach, not a foreign one.
The Zamalek chairman also pointed out that ex-Egypt international Hossam Hassan – head coach of Jordan’s national team – is one of the candidates who were being considered in the event that Mido resigns, but for now, the club have decided to back the youngest manager in Egyptian football history.
This is not the first time where Mido’s resignation and job security were brought into question; the Zamalek coach had previously announced his resignation in May before quickly withdrawing his decision.