Al Masry have renewed Hossam Hassan’s contract as he continues to manage...
- Gymnastics team issue statement after Al Gazira hall fire
- OFFICIAL: Hossam Hassan extends Al Masry contract
- Ghanaian Bolga All Stars’ owner features in his team’s league match
- Braga appoint Abel Ferreira as new head coach
- Jose: Shikabala should have joined Al Ahly
- Rizzitelli: Salah will be decisive for Roma against Lazio
- Hani Zada: Zamalek have a good record against Arab teams
- Hossam El-Badry: Club World Cup return is our aim
- Al Ahly, Zamalek opponents in CAFCL group stages revealed
- Smouha in Group C as CAFCC draw announced
Al Ahly confirm Arsenal trial for Ahmed Fathi
Al Ahly have announced Egypt international right-back Ahmed Fathi is set to undergo a trial at English Premier League side Arsenal FC.
KingFut.com revealed a few days ago that Ahmed Fathi was set to trial with Arsenal – who had sent scouts to watch the right-back in Egypt’s game against Chile back in May – following statements from the club’s football director Alaa Abdel-Sadek, and today the club have released an official statement on their Facebook page confirming the news.
“Al Ahly right-back Ahmed Fathi is set to travel to England on Friday to undergo a trial period at Arsenal Football Club in preparation to sign him if he has a successful trial and so Fathi will be unavailable to participate in Al Ahly’s game against Smouha in the semi-final of the Egypt Cup next Monday. It is worth noting that Ahmed Fathi’s contract with Al Ahly ends this season,” the statement read, hinting that the player will be able to sign for Arsenal on a Bosman transfer if he impresses.
It is worth noting that the player – who can also operate as a defensive midfielder, had a trial at Arsenal in 2004 at the age of 20 but the club opted against signing the young Egyptian.
The 29-year-old previously played for Sheffield United in the Premier League in 2007 while also plying his trade in the Championship with Hull City in their successful promotion campaign two seasons ago.
Fathi could supply Arsenal with the much needed support in the right-back position following the departure of French international Bacary Sagna, who joined Premier League title holders Manchester City, while the club are also expected to complete the signing of Newcastle full-back Mathieu Debuchy in the coming days.