Mohamed Salah came in as a second half substitute but could not help...
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
- Zamalek legend Hazem Emam says winning African title ‘not impossible’
- Egypt’s assistant coach says Pharaohs won’t rely on history
- Sada Cruzeiro beat El-Gaish in Volleyball Club World Championship
- Sundowns manager Pitso Mosimane believes it’s not over yet
- Mohamed Zidan satisfied with 2017 AFCON Draw
- Osama Nabih: Ghana’s match is the most important in history of Egyptian football
Al Ahly confirm Arsenal trial for Ahmed Fathi
Al Ahly have announced Egypt international right-back Ahmed Fathi is set to undergo a trial at English Premier League side Arsenal FC.
KingFut.com revealed a few days ago that Ahmed Fathi was set to trial with Arsenal – who had sent scouts to watch the right-back in Egypt’s game against Chile back in May – following statements from the club’s football director Alaa Abdel-Sadek, and today the club have released an official statement on their Facebook page confirming the news.
“Al Ahly right-back Ahmed Fathi is set to travel to England on Friday to undergo a trial period at Arsenal Football Club in preparation to sign him if he has a successful trial and so Fathi will be unavailable to participate in Al Ahly’s game against Smouha in the semi-final of the Egypt Cup next Monday. It is worth noting that Ahmed Fathi’s contract with Al Ahly ends this season,” the statement read, hinting that the player will be able to sign for Arsenal on a Bosman transfer if he impresses.
It is worth noting that the player – who can also operate as a defensive midfielder, had a trial at Arsenal in 2004 at the age of 20 but the club opted against signing the young Egyptian.
The 29-year-old previously played for Sheffield United in the Premier League in 2007 while also plying his trade in the Championship with Hull City in their successful promotion campaign two seasons ago.
Fathi could supply Arsenal with the much needed support in the right-back position following the departure of French international Bacary Sagna, who joined Premier League title holders Manchester City, while the club are also expected to complete the signing of Newcastle full-back Mathieu Debuchy in the coming days.