Scottish outfit Kilmarnock have turned down a bid from African giants Zamalek...
- EXCLUSIVE: Kilmarnock turn down Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- AFCON Roundup: Guinea Bissau denied historic win
- OFFICIAL: Ghana’s Baba Rahman out of Africa Cup of Nations
- African legend Essam El-Hadary sets sights on 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Hosts Gabon suffer injury setback ahead of Cameroon clash
- Maqassa sign Wadi Degla’s Ragab Nabil
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly target Ebenezer Assifuah joins Le Havre
- Grant: Happy for the three points, Ghana can do better
- Uganda coach Micho blames ‘stage fright’ for Ghana defeat
- Thievy Bifouma joins Turkey’s Osmanlispor
Kahraba makes official debut in Grasshoppers loss, El-Nenny an unused sub
Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim ‘Kahraba’ made his official debut for Grasshopper Club Zurich as a late substitute in a 1-0 defeat to rivals FC Zurich, whilst fellow Egyptian El-Nenny was an unused sub for FC Basel.
The game kicked off lively with both teams being adventurous in their ventures forward. The first real chance of the game came for GCZ when Dabbur found himself one-on-one with FC Zurich keeper Da Costa but Dabbur’s shot went wide of the post.
FC Zurich’s first threat came through Chermiti, the Tunisian’s managed to beat the defenders in the air and play a header that rattled against the crossbar.
Chiumiento grabbed the winner for FC Zurich in the 59th minute with a neat finish from just outside of the box.
Kahraba made his official debut for Grasshoppers coming on for Michael Lang in the 83rd minute with the Egyptian not able to have much of impact on the game.
FC Zurich were more efficient at creating chances and could have won the game by a larger margin if they were better at converting their chances.
The other Pharaoh in Switzerland, Mohamed El-Nenny, watched FC Basel’s first league game of the season from the bench as the holding champions won thanks to goals courtesy of Naser Aliji and Breel Embolo.