Former Egypt manager Hassan Shehata has resigned from his post as Petrojet...
- OFFICIAL: Hassan Shehata resigns as Petrojet manager
- Hefny excluded as Zamalek announce squad for Tanta
- Tunisia confirm Nabil Maaloul as new head coach
- Al Ahly’s games vs Entag, El-Geish, Nasr postponed
- Gymnastics team issue statement after Al Gazira hall fire
- OFFICIAL: Hossam Hassan extends Al Masry contract
- Ghanaian Bolga All Stars’ owner features in his team’s league match
- Braga appoint Abel Ferreira as new head coach
- Jose: Shikabala should have joined Al Ahly
- Rizzitelli: Salah will be decisive for Roma against Lazio
Zamalek beat Smouha to win second consecutive Egypt Cup
Zamalek beat Smouha 1-0 at the Air Defense Stadium courtesy of Hazem Emam’s goal one minute from time on Saturday to win their second consecutive Egypt Cup.
In spite of the festive celebrations, some unfortunate events took place before the start of the match when the Alexandrians’ team bus was supposedly attacked by Zamalek fans.
Zamalek’s Starting XI: Mohamed Abou-Gabal; Mohamed Abd El-Shafy, Salah Soliman, Omar Gaber, Yasser Ibrahim, Hazem Imam, Mohamed Ibrahim, Ahmed Tawfiq, Hamada Tolba, Mahmoud Khaled ‘Shikabala’, Ahmed Ali.
Smouha’s Starting XI: Amir Abd El-Hamid – Abdelrahman Farouk – El-Sayed Farid – Sherif Hazem – Ahmed Said “Okka” – Ibrahim Abdel-Khalek – Tarek Hamed – Ahmed Homos – Hany El-Egeizy – Alaa Ali – Ahmed Hamoudi
Smouha started off the match on the front foot when Ahmed Hamoudi’s fell struck free-kick was saved by Abou Gabal.
Zamalek was very close to scoring 13 minutes later Omar Gaber’s strike went inches wide of the post.
In the 41th minute, Amir Abd El-Hameid cleared Mahmoud Abd El-Khaleik’s strong shot.
In the 68th minute, Ahmed Ali’ saw his header saved by the everpresent Amir Abdelhamid.
Minutes later and the Blues found themselves in trouble when Tarek Hamed was sent off after receiving a second yellow card, thus reducing Hamada Sedky’s team to 10 men.
The Blues faced another disturbing event when head coach Hamada Sedky was sent off five minutes from time.
Zamalek broke the deadlock one minute from time when Hazem Emam finished in an empty net to score the winner.
It is also worth mentioning that this is Zamalek’s 23rd Egypt Cup title, and Ahmed Hossam Mido’s first trophy as a coach – becoming the youngest manager in Egyptian football history to lift the cup.