Record eight-time champions Al Ahly will face South African outfit Bidvest Wits...
- Al Ahly to face South Africa’s Bidvest Wits in CAF Champions League
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores in Ittihad 2-0 win over Shabab
- Sundowns beat Mazembe to claim first CAF Super Cup title
- Dzeko speaks about partnership with Mohamed Salah
- Coulibaly excluded as Al Ahly announce squad for Contractors clash
- Elmo ready for Hull’s training camp in Portugal
- Tunisia to play two warm-up games for Egypt encounter
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Abdel-Shafy excluded, Morsy plays full 90
- VIDEO: Holders Zamalek reach Egypt Cup round of 16
- Veteran Egyptian coach Hassan Shehata confirms South Africa talks
Salah features in narrow Chelsea win
Jose Mourinho named a strong side which included Egyptian international Mohamed Salah after their mid-week draw with RZ Pellets, and the club’s new signings lived up to their billing as they combined to overturn a first half deficit.
The west London club had looked comfortable in the first half but some slack defending was punished when 20-year old midfielder Nik Kapun put the hosts in front with a powerful first-time shot.
The home side’s lead lasted until half-time as Fabregas and Costa combined to prove why the club paid so much money for them this summer. The former Barcelona and Arsenal midfielder split Olimpija’s defence with a pinpoint pass and Costa rifled the ball into the back of the net after bursting through on goal.
Less than 10 minutes later and Chelsea made it two, a Fabregas corner was met by Fernando Torres and although his effort was saved, the rebound was tucked away by Zouma from close-range.
Salah showed glimpses of speed and trickery during the match as he attacked from the right. Although he did not create much, it is important to note that Salah was fasting during the game – as he has done throughout pre-season.
Chelsea will now travel to the Netherlands as they prepare to face Vitesse Arnhem on Wednesday.