Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
VIDEO: Koka scores as Rio Ave win in Europa League
A goal from Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ was enough to give Rio Ave the win in their first-ever European match, against Swedish club IFK Göteborg.
At the Nya Gamla Ullevi stadium in Göteborg, Rio Ave made their debut in European competitions, with a sparse crowd and no television broadcast.
Without any nerves, the Portuguese side attacked right from the start of the match, with Filipe Augusto and Koka creating chances very early on. Göteborg responded with Vibe making the best of a defensive error, forcing Cássio to make a tough save.
Rio Ave continued piling on the pressure until the goal finally came. At the 22nd minute, a free-kick by Filipe Augusto found Lionn, who crossed into the box and found Koka, who slid in and tapped the ball into the back of the net to give the Vila do Conde side the lead.
Ten minutes later, Cássio nealry gave away a goal to Göteborg, but Marcelo intercepted Vibe’s shot before it crossed the line. Vibe’s follow-up shot was saved by Cássio, but outside of the box and was lucky not to be sent off.
The second half saw less action, with Rio Ave being the closest to score, but chances from Koka, Boateng and Diego Lopes failed to reach the target.
1-0 was the final score in the end, a very positive result for Rio Ave on their debut in European competitions, with Koka being named the Man of the Match. The second leg of the tie will take place next Thursday in Vila do Conde.