Hany Zada, a member of the Zamalek board, spoke to ON Sport...
- Hull into League Cup Quarter Finals
- Elneny plays full 90 in comfortable Arsenal win against Reading in EFL cup
- Petrojet see goalless draw with Al Ahly
- Aubameyang, Mahrez included in 30-man Ballon d’Or shortlist
- Mortada Mansour: Momen Soliman was better than Sundowns coach
- Ahmed Hassan Koka’s SC Braga beat GD Chaves in Primeira Liga
- Kahraba victorious over compatriot Hamoudi in Saudi Crown Prince Cup
- NEW | The numbers behind Mamelodi Sundowns’ Champions League triump
- Sundowns players to share $1.5 mln prize money
- INTERVIEW: World squash number 4 Karim Abdel Gawad talks to KingFut
VIDEO: Koka scores as Rio Ave win in Europa League
A goal from Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ was enough to give Rio Ave the win in their first-ever European match, against Swedish club IFK Göteborg.
At the Nya Gamla Ullevi stadium in Göteborg, Rio Ave made their debut in European competitions, with a sparse crowd and no television broadcast.
Without any nerves, the Portuguese side attacked right from the start of the match, with Filipe Augusto and Koka creating chances very early on. Göteborg responded with Vibe making the best of a defensive error, forcing Cássio to make a tough save.
Rio Ave continued piling on the pressure until the goal finally came. At the 22nd minute, a free-kick by Filipe Augusto found Lionn, who crossed into the box and found Koka, who slid in and tapped the ball into the back of the net to give the Vila do Conde side the lead.
Ten minutes later, Cássio nealry gave away a goal to Göteborg, but Marcelo intercepted Vibe’s shot before it crossed the line. Vibe’s follow-up shot was saved by Cássio, but outside of the box and was lucky not to be sent off.
The second half saw less action, with Rio Ave being the closest to score, but chances from Koka, Boateng and Diego Lopes failed to reach the target.
1-0 was the final score in the end, a very positive result for Rio Ave on their debut in European competitions, with Koka being named the Man of the Match. The second leg of the tie will take place next Thursday in Vila do Conde.