Zamalek Chairman Mortada Mansour has sent out a message to several top...
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
- Abou-Rida hopes EFA crises won’t affect national team
- Egypt’s national team director discusses squad changes
- Mido: African football will not move forward with referees like Lamptey
- Massimo Busacca tutors Egyptian officials on video assistance technology
- Volleyball: Red Devils beat Ahli Benghazi 3-1 in African Club Championship
Zizo forced off with injury as Lierse suffer first loss of the season
Club Brugge won their second match of the season at home against Lierse SK, a match in which Egyptian youngster Ahmed Sayed ‘Zizo’ came off injured.
Brugge, playing at home, began the match strongly, forcing all of Zizo’s colleagues into their own half.
Early in the first half, Lior Refaelov requested a penalty be awarded to his side as he went down inside the box after a cheeky dribble, however none was given.
In the 14th minute, Castillo took a 110 km/h 25-meter free-kick which was saved by Lierse goalkeeper Ihor Berezovsky miraculously.
Lierse later showed that they wanted to bag the three points. Two chances in quick succession through a Hernán Losada corner and later the same player headed the ball just wide.
The Yellow-Blacks were good at the back too as they defended flawlessly against the numerous Brugge attacks, keeping the scoreline at 0-0 until Refaelov scored the only goal in the match with a beautiful curling free-kick, leaving Berezovsky’s feet planted.
In an attempt to grab a point, Faysel Kasmi came on for Thomas Wils at the beginning of the 2nd half.
Throughout the whole second-half both sides looked close to scoring a goal. However in the 62nd minute, young Egyptian attacking midfielder Ahmed Sayed ‘Zizo’ was substituted following a hamstring injury and was replaced by Apostolos Vellios.
All hopes of a 1-1 scoreline for the visitors vanished in the 88th minute when Ludovic Buysens received his second yellow.
Brazilian Fernando Menegazzo, who appears to be a great purchase so far for Brugge, was named the Man of the Match as the hosts held on to the 1-0 scoreline.
A player sent off and another injured was the salt in the wound of Lierse’s loss, a side that looked at times capable of equalising. The Belgians are expected to announce more details concerning the extent of Zizo’s injury.