Saad Samir capitalized on a bizarre error from goalkeeper Mohamed Abou-Gabal as...
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
Benfica defeat Koka’s Rio Ave on penalties in Super Cup final
Koka started upfront in a very fast-paced and counter-attack filled match. In the first half Benfica had several chances, but they were unlucky not to score, mainly due to Rio Ave’s determined defense and Benfica’s hit and miss shooting.
The 21-year-old had a relatively quiet first half and there was not much to see from him, occasionally linking up play from one side of the pitch to the other.
As a result, Pedro Martins substituted the Egyptian striker in the 54th for 18-year-old Emmanuel Boateng to combat Benfica’s dangerous speed. In the second half there was a lot more tension and pressure for both sides, with Benfica, again, missing very straight forward shots and dominating play with a total possession of 70%.
With the full-time whistle being blown with the scoreline 0-0 the game went into extra time. Benfica continued to dominate but couldn’t find the vital goal and with the 120 minutes up Benfica recorded 33 shots on goal compared to Rio Ave’s 6.
After a long match, the nerve-racking penalties ended with a 3-2 win to Benfica, thanks to an incredible save by goalkeeper Artur Moraes which ensured the loudly cheering Benfica fans were not disappointed.