Group A matches have finally come to closure and it has seen...
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
- AFCON: How Egypt can qualify for the knockout rounds
- Sulley Muntari joins Italy’s Pescara
- Smouha chairman announces Hossam Paulo departure to Zamalek
- Egypt boss Hector Cuper discusses strategy against Uganda
- Sam Morsy scores as Wigan edge Brentford
- El-Said: Egypt’s victory more important than my goal
- Essam El-Hadary: Result more important than performance
Zizo features as Lierse beaten by Lokeren
Belgium’s Lokeren had its second home win of the season with a 2-0 victory over Ahmed ‘Zizo’ Sayed’s Lierse SK.
Lierse started the game explosively, despite missing 22-year-old Guinean striker, Alhassane Keita, one of the Belgian League’s top goal scorers, due to a knee injury.
The first opportunity for Lierse arrived via a penalty kick, taken by Brazilian winger Wanderson Campos but the ball did not cross the line.
Lokeren then upped the tempo, which was rewarded when defender Mijat Maric netted a penalty in the 19th minute.
It provided a boost to the home side’s confidence, with the second goal coming only 4 minutes later, slotted in by Besart Abdurahimi. It was the 19-year-old’s debut for the club and in celebration of his first goal, he was penalised for taking his shirt off.
Midfielder Onur Kaya hit a powerful shot which almost resulted in a third goal to Lokeren, putting further pressure on Lierse, with manager Stanly Menzos having to make some defensive changes. The score however, remained the same, with Lokeren holding on for a 2-0 win.
Lierse’s other Egyptians Karim Hafez (defender) and Ahmed Hassan (striker) did not feature.
Lierse will need a positive result from their next match after slipping 4 spots down the ladder after todays loss. Their next match is against Charleloi on the 23rd of August.