Ghana who have been without a coach since Avram Grant’s depature could...
- Italian coach Fabrizio Ravanelli linked with Black Stars job
- SQUASH: An All Egyptian Women Final in Windy City Open Squash
- Egypt U-20 National Team draw second game in a row at AFCON
- Ghana: World Cup hopes destroyed with Grant
- CAF to honor former Al Ahly chairman Hassan Hamdy
- EXCLUSIVE: Sam Morsy called up to Egypt squad
- Egypt court sentences 4 Ultras Ahlawy members to 15 years in prison
- Elneny speaks about his first Arsenal start against Spurs
- Stoke chairman excuses Ramadan from criticism after Spurs defeat
- Mohamed Ashraf scores as El-Gaish down Al Masry
Abou-Treika rejects ‘peace match’ due to ‘Zionist’ participation
Abou-Treika recently rejected an invitation to play a ‘peace match’ in Rome due to the participation of Maccabi Haifa midfielder Yossi Benayoun.
Pope Francis invited former Al Ahly players Wael Gomaa and Mohamed Abou-Treika to play a friendly match in the Olympico stadium in Rome on December 1st. The friendly aims to unite people of different religions but Abou-Treika rejected the invitation due to the participation of Israeli midfielder Yossi Benayoun.
Abou-Treika stated on his official twitter account that he declined the invitation because he doesn’t want to cooperate with Zionists and he is trying to set an example for the next generation. Moreover, Abou-Treika was abruptly attacked by an Israeli website because he rejected to play in the friendly while stars from all over the world have agreed to feature.
“This is a photo for the match invitation which I turned down because of the Zionist state,” Abou-Treika wrote on his Twitter account.
“Pardon us, we are raising new generations,” he added.
صورة من الدعوة للمباراة ورفضى لها بسبب الكيان الصهيوني عفوا نحن نربى اجيال . pic.twitter.com/EWlAtfM6HE
— محمدمحمدابوتريكة (@aboutrikamoham1) August 17, 2014
This is not the first time Abou-Treika has shown his support to the Palestinian cause, he showed an undershirt with “Sympathise with Gaza” after scoring against Sudan in 2008 AFCON.
Players such as Roberto Baggio, Zinedine Zidane, Lionel Messi, Andrea Pirlo, Gianluigi Buffon, Samuel Eto’o, and Javier Zanetti are set to take part in the friendly.
It’s well worth mentioning that Wael Gomaa is yet to make a decision on whether to participate or not in the event.