Egyptian locals national team and Hany Ramzy face a tough period ahead as...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
Official: Ahmed Fathi signs for Qatari side Umm Salal from Al Ahly
Egypt international Ahmed Fathi has joined Qatari side Umm Salal on a three-year contract, reportedly worth $3 million (21.45 million EGP).
The 29-year-old right-back has had various offers since his return from London, following an unsuccessful trial at Arsenal.
The Cairo giants did offer Fathi a contract renewal, and he also had offers from Saudi Arabian Club Ittihad Jeddah, who had started negotiations with him in April, as well as from Nottingham Forest in England previously.
He chose to resume his football career in the Qatar Stars League however, where he will wear the number 24 as he did with Al Ahly, and joins recent signings Tuncay Şanlı of Turkey and former Arsenal striker Jérémie Aliadière.
— نادي أم صلال الرياضي (@ummsalalsc) August 21, 2014
Wael Gomaa, Al Ahly’s director of football has recently declared that negotiations with Ahmed Fathi were over, saying: “We will not beg him [Ahmed Fathi] to renew.”
Nevertheless, Ahmed Fathi maintains a respectable relationship with Al Ahly’s officials, following a seven-year spell with the Red Devils.