Egypt’s local national team have defeated Benin 2-0 in the preparations for CHAN...
- VIDEO: Egypt’s locals national team defeat Benin
- Ghanaian officials banned for sexual harassment
- Mortada: Alain Giresse has agreed to manage Zamalek
- Volleyball: Al Ahly crowned African champions
- Egypt’s general prosecutor reopens the Air Defence Stadium case
- Gennesh reflects on his first Egypt call-up
- Al Ahly: Emad Meteb is an important player for us
- Hector Cuper: Bassem Morsy can rejoin national team
- Meteb admits he might leave Al Ahly over lack of playing time
- Salah Soliman ruled out of Benin friendly
Pharaohs find out opponents as Champions League groups revealed
Mohamed Salah, Mohamed El-Nenny, Ahmed Hamoudi, Shikabala and Rami Rabia have learned their UEFA Champions League group opponents tonight after an exciting draw at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco.
With the excitement building up even further after some amazing matches in qualifying last night, the pots for the draw were confirmed by UEFA. Salah’s Chelsea were placed in Pot 1, alongside Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Arsenal and Porto.
Mohamed El-Nenny and Ahmed Hamoudi’s Swiss side were in Pot 2, with Basel being set alongside Schalke, Dortmund, Juventus, PSG, Shakhtar Donetsk, Zenit St. Petersburg and current Premier League champions Manchester City.
Sporting Lisbon, who currently have Pharaohs Rami Rabia and Shikabala on their books, started in lowly Pot 3, being placed alongside Bayer Leverkusen, Olympiacos, CSKA Moscow, Ajax, Liverpool, Galatasaray and Athletic Bilbao, who secured their spot in dramatic fashion last night after beating Napoli.
Pot 4 contained no Egyptians, with Anderlecht, Roma, APOEL, BATE Borisov, debutants Ludogrets, Maribor, Malmo and Monaco rounding out the draw. With one team drawn from each pot to form the final groups, there were some exciting prospective matches.
Salah and Chelsea were drawn into Group G along with Rami Rabia and Shikabala’s Sporting Lisbon, setting up Pharaoh vs Pharaoh clashes! Chelsea and Sporting Lisbon will also have to compete with Schalke of Germany and Maribor for a place in the last 16.
Hamoudi, El-Nenny and FC Basel were drawn into Group B, setting up tantalising fixtures with Real Madrid, Liverpool and Ludogrets, who Basel knocked out to reach the group stages last year.
Matchday One is due to be played on the 16-17th of September, with the final Matchday of the Group Stages, Matchday Six, due to be played on the 09-10th of December.
Some fantastic matches coming up, will our Pharaohs shine?