Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
Cameroon’s Samuel Eto’o retires from international football
Cameroon star Samuel Eto’o has announced his retirement from international football.
Cameroonian striker Samuel Eto’o has called time on his international career spanning 17 years.
Eto’o released a short statement on his social media accounts on August 27th to confirm this. It read:
“I would like to inform you all that I am putting an end to my international career. Thank you all of Africa, and to my fans for their love.”
His long decorated career saw him score 56 goals in 118 appearances for his country, and 18 AFCON goals; both being record tallies.
He is arguably the most decorated African player of all time, having won two AFCON titles and an Olympic gold medal as part of Cameroon’s golden generation in the early 2000s.
Eto’o has also won the African Player of the Year award a record four times for his club and country exploits. On top of all these; he featured in four World Cups (a feat achieved by only two other Africans) and one FIFA Confederations Cup.
It has not been all rosy though; despite being captain of the national team, he has been involved in numerous altercations with the Cameroonian Football Federation.His infamous ban in 2011 for inciting his teammates to boycott a friendly match against Algeria being one of the most memorable.