Enugu Rangers chief executive Christian Chukwu admitted they respect their CAF Champions...
- We are not afraid of Zamalek, says Enugu Rangers chief
- Pioli answers: Will Salah be key man for Roma against Inter?
- HANDBALL: Ahly beats Zamalek in league encounter
- VIDEO: Hossam Paulo scores as Zamalek down Nasr Lel Ta’adeen
- Mido: Gent was special for me, English football suited me
- AS Roma to face Olympique Lyonnais in Europa League
- Smouha set date for Ulinzi Stars clash
- El-Hadary: I apologise to everyone at Wadi Degla
- Essam El-Hadary: I may leave Wadi Degla
- Former teammate talks about ‘scissors’ incident between Mido and Zlatan
VIDEO: El-Nenny’s top-ranked FC Basel defeat Young Boys 3-1
The game started off quite dynamically for FC Basel, as the first goal was scored only four minutes after the whistle was blown. Paraguayan attacker Derlis Gonzalez comfortably converted from inside the box, with midfielder Shkezlin Gashi providing the assist with a header.
The second goal came in the 20th minute, slotted in by striker Marco Streker, and again, assisted by Gashi.
With Young Boys already being 2-0 down, they stepped up their game and defender Alain Rochat was dangerously close to scoring a powerful header, only to be blocked by the back of the goalkeeper’s gloves. However, the underdogs finally scored their first and only goal by midfielder Raphaël Nuzzolo in the 32nd minute, which was assisted by former Smouha striker, 23-year-old Samuel Afum.
Tension flared up between the two sides, causing masses of yellow cards to be given, especially to FC Basel, which included Gashi, Walter Samuel, and Fabian Schar, around 10 minutes of each other. After half-time, Basel coach Paulo Sousa substituted yellow-carded Fabian Schar for the 22-year-old Egyptian midfielder, Mohamed El-Nenny as the team were in need of fresh legs – and a quick turnaround – on the pitch.
A penalty-kick was given in the 61st minute to Young Boys, as their only goal-scorer, Raphaël Nuzzolo, was fouled. However, the ball was blocked, thanks to an incredible save by goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik.
Yoichiro Katitani scored Basel’s lethal 3rd goal in the 81st minute, caused by a defensive error from Young Boys, to wrap up their 3-1 win.
FC Basel continue to sit top of the league table, with only two points ahead of runners-up Zurich.