Egypt international Ahmed Hamoudi scored to help Al-Batin secure a 1-1 home...
- VIDEO: Hamoudi scores as Al Batin, Al-Qadisiyah share spoils
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
Koka features as Rio Ave’s perfect league start continues with thrashing of Boavista
After their heroics in the Europa League on Thursday, it was back to domestic action for Koka’s Rio Ave, who thrashed newly-promoted Boavista 4-0.
Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ started on the bench for the hosts, likely due to his performance against Elfsborg on Thursday evening, when he only came to life in the latter stages of the second half.
Rio Ave took the lead after 26 minutes through Renan, who curled in a beautiful free-kick moments after receiving a yellow card for complaining to the referee about the player who caused the free-kick.
Their lead would be doubled just four minutes later after Diego Lopes slotted home an Ukra pass from close range. It was poor defending from Boavista, who were not marking the Rio Ave attackers very well, if at all.
It was all becoming too easy for the hosts, who trebled their lead through Esmaël Gonçalves – the hero against Ellfsborg – when he tapped in an Ukra pass from close range on 80 minutes. It was almost a carbon copy of Diego Lopes’ goal in the first half.
Koka came on one minute later, but by then, Rio Ave had already put the game beyond doubt. They would again add to their lead, however, when Boateng headed in a Pedro Moreira cross in injury time to make it 4-0, which was the final score.
It was a ruthless performance by Rio Ave, who move back to the top of the Primeira Liga, having won their opening three games of the season.
As for Koka; his performance throughout the 90 minutes last Thursday against Elfborg was likely in the manager, Pedro Martins’ thoughts pre-game, and he decided to play Boateng up front instead. The Egyptian forward will have to work on his consistency levels, and once he does that, he will be one of the first names on the team sheet each game, because there’s no doubting that he has the talent and ability.