Zamalek earned a comfortable 3-0 win over Dakhelya in Mohamed Helmy’s first...
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veroia hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
- Afriyie: I advice Al-Ahly to sign Ebenezer Assifuah
- Spalletti comments on Salah’s absence ahead of Rome Derby
- Kahraba: Fans are the reason behind my performance
Pharaohs travel to Senegal as Gharib trims squad
On Tuesday, September 2, the Pharaohs set off to Senegal for the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations qualifier after trimming the squad to 26.
A week after revealing the 30-man preliminary squad, and three days after Egypt’s unimpressive 1-0 defeat of Kenya, Shawky Gharib has revealed that Al Ahly midfielder Mahmoud Hassan ‘Trezeguet’ has been cut from the squad.
Sporting Lisbon defender Rami Rabia will miss the clash due to his stomach surgery today, while Zamalek left-back Mohamed Abdel-Shafy is also injured.
Saleh Gomaa was also cut to allow him to train with Hossam El-Badry and the Olympic team during their quest of qualification for the 2016 Rio Games.
Shawky Gharib is leaving no doubts about his ambition for the qualifiers by stating, “Our target is to win this group.”
The Pharaohs kick their AFCON qualifiers off away against Senegal on Friday, September 5, before returning to Egypt to play Tunisia on the 10th of the same month.
The 26-man squad list is as follows:
Goalkeepers: Essam El-Hadary, Ahmed El-Shennawy, Sherif Ekrami and Amir Abdel-Hamid
Defenders: Shawky El-Said, Ahmed Said ‘Ouka’, Hazem Emam, Sabri Rahil, Ahmed Fathi, Ahmed Elmohamady, Ahmed Hegazy and Ali Ghazal.
Midfielders: Ibrahim Abdel-Khalek, Momen Zakaria, Omar Gaber, Hossam Ghaly, Hosni Abd-Rabou, Mohamed El-Nenny, Ahmed Hamoudi, Mahmoud Abdel-Razek ‘Shikabala’ and Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim ‘Kahraba’.
Forwards: Khaled Kamar, Mohamed Salah, Hany El-Egeizy, Amr Gamal, Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ ‘
The squad list will have to be cut by three in order to achieve the 23-man requirement.