Al Ahly have defeated Kenyan side Prisons 3-0 in the quarter-finals of the African...
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
Pharaohs travel to Senegal as Gharib trims squad
On Tuesday, September 2, the Pharaohs set off to Senegal for the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations qualifier after trimming the squad to 26.
A week after revealing the 30-man preliminary squad, and three days after Egypt’s unimpressive 1-0 defeat of Kenya, Shawky Gharib has revealed that Al Ahly midfielder Mahmoud Hassan ‘Trezeguet’ has been cut from the squad.
Saleh Gomaa was also cut to allow him to train with Hossam El-Badry and the Olympic team during their quest of qualification for the 2016 Rio Games.
Shawky Gharib is leaving no doubts about his ambition for the qualifiers by stating, “Our target is to win this group.”
The Pharaohs kick their AFCON qualifiers off away against Senegal on Friday, September 5, before returning to Egypt to play Tunisia on the 10th of the same month.
The 26-man squad list is as follows:
Goalkeepers: Essam El-Hadary, Ahmed El-Shennawy, Sherif Ekrami and Amir Abdel-Hamid
Defenders: Shawky El-Said, Ahmed Said ‘Ouka’, Hazem Emam, Sabri Rahil, Ahmed Fathi, Ahmed Elmohamady, Ahmed Hegazy and Ali Ghazal.
Midfielders: Ibrahim Abdel-Khalek, Momen Zakaria, Omar Gaber, Hossam Ghaly, Hosni Abd-Rabou, Mohamed El-Nenny, Ahmed Hamoudi, Mahmoud Abdel-Razek ‘Shikabala’ and Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim ‘Kahraba’.
Forwards: Khaled Kamar, Mohamed Salah, Hany El-Egeizy, Amr Gamal, Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ ‘
The squad list will have to be cut by three in order to achieve the 23-man requirement.