Egypt national team left-back Mohamed Abdel-Shafy will not be able to play in...
- OFFICIAL: Abdel-Shafy misses Ghana match in AFCON
- Asamoah Gyan seeking revenge against Egypt
- Algeria coach Georges Leekens resigns after AFCON elimination
- AFCON Roundup: Tunisia reach quarter finals, Algeria eliminated
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
Shawky Gharib to resign if Egypt fail to reach AFCON – Report
Shawky Gharib told StarAfrica that the negative results as of late have been a consequence of the retirement of a number of former Egyptian stars, naming Mohamed Abou-Treika, Wael Gomaa and Mohamed Barakat.
Senegal and Tunisia currently lie on top of Group G with six points whilst Botswana and Egypt anchor the bottom of the group with zero points.
In a previous interview, Gharib affirmed that qualifying for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations finals in Morocco is “non-negotiable.”
The fans who attended the match in the Air Defense Stadium made it clear, through their chants, that they did not want Shawky Gharib to resume his position as the head coach of the Egyptian national team.
If Egypt fail to reach the Africa Cup of Nations in 2015 it would be the third consecutive time that it has happened, which would be a huge blow to the national team that claimed the title three times in a row in 2006, 2008 and 2010.