Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
Al Ahly overcome Coton Sport in CAF Confederation Cup semi-final first leg
Al Ahly started the game off well when Mohamed Farouk played a through pass to Walid Soliman who went one-on-one with Mouloum Iliassou, but the former’s shot was saved by the keeper.
Early on in the second half, Moussa Yedan came on for Mohamed Farouk, and the change signalled the start of more midfield activity from Juan Carlos Garrido’s men.
Minutes later, the former Coton-man received a great through pass from Walid Soliman but his strike went just wide of the post.
Four minutes after the hour mark Rostand Kako had the chance to put Les Cotonniers ahead, but he couldn’t wrap his foot around the ball, much to the relief of the Red Devils.
Seven minutes later, Walid Soliman scored a screamer to give Al Ahly the lead – unleashing a dipping shot from distance which found the back of the net.
Coton Sport players pushed hard for an equaliser, but their efforts were deterred by the Al Ahly defenders.
With less than minutes remaining, Garrido put on Sherif Abdel-Fadil in place of goalscorer Walid Soliman, allowing his side to hold onto the lead.
It is also worth mentioning that the second leg is scheduled to be played on the 28th of September.