Umm Salal beat Al-Shahania Sports Club 2-1 to knock them out of...
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Entag El-Harby clash
- Mahmoud Gaber leads Umm Salal to Emir Cup quarter-finals
- Paredes: Salah is the player I look to find more than any other
- Mali’s sports minister cancels dissolution of FA
- Inter planning €60m double swoop for Roma’s duo Salah and Manolas
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
VIDEO: Hamoudi scores first goal on league debut as FC Basel beat Vaduz
The match was leveled at 1-1 early in the second-half, following Steven Lang’s first-half equalizer from the penalty spot after FC Basel opened the scoring in the first minute through Luca Zuffi, and the Swiss champions were growing frustrated by Vaduz’s resilient defending.
Egyptian duo Ahmed Hamoudi and Mohamed El-Nenny were introduced early in the second-half – replacing Matías Delgado and Marcelo Díaz receptively – and although El-Nenny played well, it was Hamoudi who made the bigger impact.
Hamoudi forced a save from the Vaduz keeper after an effort from a near impossible angle. Ten minutes later, Basel were back in front as the club’s top scorer Marco Streller scored his fifth goal of the season in the 80th minute.
Hamoudi, who was making his league debut, then struck again with a brilliant curling effort which hit the crossbar.
The Egyptian international was not to be denied though, Gonzalez’s cut-back to Hamoudi, who cut inside to rifle a left-footed shot into the back of the net to record his first league goal for FC Basel.
Basel now lead the Swiss Super League with 21 points, 2 points ahead of Zurich with an extra game played.