Elneny was an usused substitute for Arsenal, while Ramadan Sobhi featured for...
- Sobhi features, with Elneny an unused substitute in Arsenal’s 3-1 win
- Barnsley narrowly defeat Norwich
- Karim Hafez features in Lens’ 3-1 defeat to Strasbourg
- Elneny: The past 11 months have been the best of my life
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli edge Al Raed
- Al Masry see off Petrojet to continue winning streak
- Patrick Malo: Burkina Faso a good team, I am fine at Smouha
- Klopp confirms Joel Matip will not be going to AFCON
- FIFA announces bans on various African football officials
- Trezeguet’s Royal Mouscron appoint Mircea Rednic as manager
Gharib calls up six players abroad, Shikabala excluded
Egypt manager Shawky Gharib has decided to call up only six Egyptians playing abroad for the country’s African Cup of Nations qualifiers against Botswana.
The players called up are Ahmed Elmohamady, Ahmed Fathi, Ahmed Hamoudi, Mohamed Salah, Mohamed El-Nenny and finally Saleh Gomaa.
Aly Ghazal, Shikabala, Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’, Mahmoud ‘Kahraba’ and Ahmed Hegazy were the most noticeable absentees from the players playing abroad as they were included in the squad to face Senegal and Tunisia.
Shikabala came on in the final 20 minutes of Egypt’s loss against Tunisia, putting in a decent performance but was surprisingly not called up.
Saleh Gomaa will be the only player representing our Egyptians in Portugal as most noticeably Aly Ghazal – who was ever-present in the squad since Gharib took over – has been dropped following a series of disappointing performances for the national team, but is also said to be recovering from an injury as he missed out on Nacional’s last match.
Egypt are set to face Botswana twice on the 10th and 15th of October in what looks like a final bid for Gharib’s men to qualify for the African Cup of Nations.