Belgian manager Georges Leekens has been appointed coach of the Algerian national...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron, Waasland share spoils in a bottom of the table contest
- OFFICIAL: Georges Leekens named Algeria coach for second time
- Zamalek return to domestic scene with draw against Smouha
- The rise and fall of Alexandria giants Smouha SC
- KF TOTS: The CAF Champions League Team of the Tournament
- Maqassa come from behind to beat Ismaily in the 94th minute
- Volleyball: Egypt win Women’s U-23 African Championship
- Elmohamady’s Hull, Elneny’s Arsenal to host Newcastle, Southampton in EFL Cup quarter-finals
- Salah assists in Roma’s 3-1 win against Sassuolo
- Zamalek to face Minuh Yaoundé in African Handball Championship
Gharib calls up six players abroad, Shikabala excluded
Egypt manager Shawky Gharib has decided to call up only six Egyptians playing abroad for the country’s African Cup of Nations qualifiers against Botswana.
Aly Ghazal, Shikabala, Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’, Mahmoud ‘Kahraba’ and Ahmed Hegazy were the most noticeable absentees from the players playing abroad as they were included in the squad to face Senegal and Tunisia.
Shikabala came on in the final 20 minutes of Egypt’s loss against Tunisia, putting in a decent performance but was surprisingly not called up.
Saleh Gomaa will be the only player representing our Egyptians in Portugal as most noticeably Aly Ghazal – who was ever-present in the squad since Gharib took over – has been dropped following a series of disappointing performances for the national team, but is also said to be recovering from an injury as he missed out on Nacional’s last match.
Egypt are set to face Botswana twice on the 10th and 15th of October in what looks like a final bid for Gharib’s men to qualify for the African Cup of Nations.