Amr Warda scored his first PAOK goal in a convincing 3-1 win...
- Egypt’s Amr Warda scores first goal with PAOK
- Hossam El-Badry denies Ali Maaloul departure rumors
- Gennesh excluded as Incaio announces Zamalek squad for Al Masry clash
- Handball: Al Ahly win Africa Cup Winners’ Cup Championship
- Gaber starts in thrilling 2-2 draw against Vaduz
- Ramadan Sobhi’s Stoke fall 2-0 to Swansea City
- 10-man Hull City cruise past Watford with ease
- Wadi Degla women crowned Egypt Cup champions
- Hany Zada: Kahraba will continue his career abroad
- Ryan Giggs: Mohamed Salah is an exciting player
VIDEO: Salah features late on as Chelsea edge Sporting
Chelsea looked the most dangerous throughout and missed numerous chances. Schurrle was picked out by Oscar but the German’s shot was saved by Rui Patricio, who was superb on the night.
However, Sporting fought back when Algerian international Islam Slimani’s header was saved by Courtois.
Chelsea looked menacing and were dominating but it was deja vu as Andre Schurrle’s shot was saved again by the in-form Sporting keeper. Chelsea finally had their breakthrough as Cesc Fabregas’ looping free-kick was headed in at the far post by Nemanja Matic – who made it two Champions League goals in two games for him, to give the visitors the lead.
Sporting did come close as Manchester United loanee Luis Nani’s 30-yard shot was inches wide.
Mohamed Salah came on in the 85th minute and was put through minutes later by a brilliant through pass by Fabregas, but his effort was saved by the brilliant Patricio.
Chelsea were able to hold and earn the three points, continuing their unbeaten start to the group stages.
Egyptian internationals Rami Rabia and Shikabala both were not included in the matchday squad. The former is recovering from an injury, while the latter is set to be disciplined by the Lisbon club for failing to return from international duty.