Egypt international Mohamed Elneny has praised Mali, describing them as a tough...
- Mali coach: We were under pressure against Egypt
- Elneny: We have a good chance to qualify
- El-Hadary made history as Mali held Egypt to goalless draw
- Ayew scores from the spot as Ghana down Uganda
- Ehab Allam: Hull City have never been a ‘selling club’ under our ownership
- RELIVE: Egypt vs Mali – 2017 Africa Cup of Nations
- VIDEO: Military National Team draw with Poland in the World Military Cup
- Hull City league position putting off prospective buyers, says Ehab Allam
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
VIDEO: Salah features late on as Chelsea edge Sporting
Chelsea looked the most dangerous throughout and missed numerous chances. Schurrle was picked out by Oscar but the German’s shot was saved by Rui Patricio, who was superb on the night.
However, Sporting fought back when Algerian international Islam Slimani’s header was saved by Courtois.
Chelsea looked menacing and were dominating but it was deja vu as Andre Schurrle’s shot was saved again by the in-form Sporting keeper. Chelsea finally had their breakthrough as Cesc Fabregas’ looping free-kick was headed in at the far post by Nemanja Matic – who made it two Champions League goals in two games for him, to give the visitors the lead.
Sporting did come close as Manchester United loanee Luis Nani’s 30-yard shot was inches wide.
Mohamed Salah came on in the 85th minute and was put through minutes later by a brilliant through pass by Fabregas, but his effort was saved by the brilliant Patricio.
Chelsea were able to hold and earn the three points, continuing their unbeaten start to the group stages.
Egyptian internationals Rami Rabia and Shikabala both were not included in the matchday squad. The former is recovering from an injury, while the latter is set to be disciplined by the Lisbon club for failing to return from international duty.