Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
VIDEO: Al Ahly suffer shock defeat to Al-Ragaa in league opener
Al-Ragaa, the football club from the city of Marsa Matruh, defeated league champions Al Ahly 2-1 at the Alexandria Stadium with a shocking 93rd minute goal.
Al Ahly XI: Sherif Ekramy; Saad Samir, Sherif Hazem, Mohamed Naguib, Sabri Rahil; Mohamed Rezq (Mohamed Farouk 45), Hossam Ghaly, Hossam Ashour (Islam Roshdy 77); Walid Soliman, Moussa Yedan (Emad Meteb 60), Amr Gamal.
Al-Ragaa XI: Mohamed Fathi; Ali El-Arabi, Assem Salah, Amr Nabi, tarek Sami; Mahmoud Farag (Moatamed Mohsen 90), Amr El-Monoufy, Amr El-Fayoumi (Mamadou Souqui 77), Mahmoud El-Maghraby (Amir Kayser 66), Ahmed Abdelaal; Tarek Salem.
The game started off with a free-kick for Al Ahly near the penalty area, which was taken by Walid Soliman, but was easily saved by Al-Ragaa goalkeeper Mohamed Fathi.
Mohamed Rizk, signed from Arab Contractors over the summer, made an attempt to score the opening goal but his shot went off the post.
34 minutes into the game, the Red Devils continued their goal pursuit as Amr Gamal’s ball went just inches wide of the post.
A few minutes later, Al-Ragaa’s Amr El-Monoufy missed an easy opportunity to score the opener after receiving a cross from the right side of the pitch, as both teams went into the break on level terms.
The start of the second-half witnessed a lively performance from Walid Soliman, as he missed two chances to score in the first few minutes.
El-Monoufy scored for Al-Ragaa with a blast from outside the box in the 76th minute.
Al Ahly’s comeback was immediate, as a header from Emad Meteb four minutes later – after receiving a cross from left-back Sabry Rahil – equalized the score for the Red Castle.
Al-Ragaa managed to pull-off the upset with a 93rd minute goal, after Tarek Salem received a killer pass which he translated successfully into a goal.
The minnows are now surprisingly top of the table with 9 points from four games, while Garrido’s side are bottom, having only played one game thus far.