Hossam El-Badry has announced his 21-man squad facing Misr El-Maqassa in the 13th...
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veria hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
Official: Zamalek sack Hossam Hassan
Zamalek’s board of directors have agreed to sack Hossam Hassan following a meeting held on Thursday at noon after a string of disappointing results, with a foreign candidate tipped to replace him on the bench.
Speculation started after Zamalek lost the Egyptian Super Cup to Al Ahly (5-4 on a penalty shootout). Mortada Mansour – Zamalek’s chairaman – criticized Hossam for his tactics in fielding Omar Gaber, Ahmed Tawfik and only playing with one striker upfront, only for him to renew confidence in Hossam later on.
Hossam Hassan’s side started their league campaign with a 6-1 thrashing of Tala’a El-Gaish on gameweek two, only for them to draw against Ittihad El-Shorta in the third round, and again draw against Dahkleya this week; settling for 10th position in the standings and grabbing only 5 points from their first three encounters.
The former Al Ahly and Zamalek striker took over from Ahmed Hossam ‘Mido’ for a second spell at the club, after finishing second place during the 2010/2011 Egyptian Premier League season and qualifying to final of the Egyptian Cup, before losing to ENPPI in his first spell.
45-year-old Portuguese manager Paulo Jorge Rebelo Duarte is the tipped candidate to fill in the void left by the former Egypt international on Zamalek’s bench, with Duarte coaching Burkina Faso and Gabon’s national teams previously.
However, Mohamed Salah has been named as the interim coach to fill the position temporarily.