Al Nasr have sealed promotion to the Egyptian Premier League after securing...
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
- Below-par Zamalek held to goalless draw by Tanta
- Al Masry miss chance to close gap on Zamalek with defeat against Ismaily
- Al Ahly set date for Zanaco Champions League encounter
- EXCLUSIVE | Ngoufonja to challenge Abou Rida in race to FIFA Council
- VIDEO: Elneny takes behind the goal shot challenge with ChrisMD
- PAOK to face AEK in Greek Cup final
- Five thousand allowed to attend Al Ahly’s CAFCL games
- Former Gabon international Moïse Brou Apanga dead at 35
CAF confirm Egypt bid for 2017 AFCON
The Confederation of African Football has announced that seven bids were received for the hosting of the 2017 African Cup of Nations.
Earlier this year, CAF excluded the previously selected Libya from it’s hosting rights due to safety concerns due to continued in-fighting.
The window for nominations was opened in late August, and CAF will decide the host of the 31st edition of the continental competition next year, in an executive committee session.
The 2017 edition will also coincide with the tournament’s 60th anniversary, and the governing body has stated that infrastructure and facilities (stadiums, training pitches, housing) will be the only focus for the selection process due to time constraints.
Egypt previously hosted the AFCON on four* occasions – 1959, 1974, 1986 and 2006 – and claimed the trophy in all of them bar 1974, when they finished in third place.
Their most recent hosting of the tournament saw them triumph against a resilient Côte d’Ivoire side on penalties at the Cairo International Stadium, a win that sparked massive celebrations throughout the country.