Côte d’Ivoire international Gervinho is set to miss the 2017 CAF Africa Cup...
- Gervinho to miss AFCON after ACL rupture
- Hull into League Cup Quarter Finals
- Elneny plays full 90 in comfortable Arsenal win against Reading in EFL cup
- Petrojet see goalless draw with Al Ahly
- Aubameyang, Mahrez included in 30-man Ballon d’Or shortlist
- Mortada Mansour: Momen Soliman was better than Sundowns coach
- Ahmed Hassan Koka’s SC Braga beat GD Chaves in Primeira Liga
- Kahraba victorious over compatriot Hamoudi in Saudi Crown Prince Cup
- NEW | The numbers behind Mamelodi Sundowns’ Champions League triump
- Sundowns players to share $1.5 mln prize money
VIDEO: Mohsen scores first goal with every Egyptian progressing in the Portuguese Cup
Gil Vicente’s Marwan Mohsen scored his first goal for the club with every Egyptian player based in Portugal seeing their team make it through the 3rd round of the Portuguese Cup.
The weekend in Portugal was dedicated to the Portuguese Cup and its third round, a celebration of the local football which sees the minnows try their best to take down the established and famous sides from the top-tier.
In Barcelos, Gil Vicente hosted Real Massamá, a club best known for being Nani’s first club and who currently play in Lisbon FA’s Premier Division (4th tier of Portuguese football) in a 2-1 win.
The match began with Gil Vicente imposing themselves as the strongest side, consistently attacking and plenty of chances went wayward. The away side Real Massamá then started to scare the home side, with goalkeeper Adriano having to perform top saves to keep the ball out of the net.
Mohsen came on to the pitch in the second half and gave Gil Vicente a new life, playing alongside the other striker, Simy Nwankwo. In the 67th minute Mohsen scored his first goal in Portugal. Diogo Viana crossed the ball into the edge of the box and Mohsen took his chance with a powerful shot that went into the corner of the Real net.
Despite the goal and with Real’s players starting to weaken they managed to equalize in the 80th minute thanks to Fati, who made the best of a defensive error.
With extra-time already in sight, Gil Vicente snatched a late winner, after Diogo Viana latched onto Simy’s mistake and fired home.
The other clubs featuring Egyptian players also all progressed to the fourth round.
Mohamed Ibrahim was replaced in the second half as Marítimo beat 3rd tier side Gondomar 4-0.
Whilst, Saleh Gomaa was the only Egyptian to feature for Nacional playing the full 90 minutes as his side thrashed Alcanenense 6-1, with Aly Ghazal, Mahmoud Ezzat and Aly Fathy not making it into the squad.
Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ didn’t play as Rio Ave squeezed a tight 0-1 win against Coimbrões.
The two Mokhtar brothers Amr and Ahmed weren’t present as Feirense took down Amora 5-1.