Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
VIDEO: Mohsen scores first goal with every Egyptian progressing in the Portuguese Cup
Gil Vicente’s Marwan Mohsen scored his first goal for the club with every Egyptian player based in Portugal seeing their team make it through the 3rd round of the Portuguese Cup.
The weekend in Portugal was dedicated to the Portuguese Cup and its third round, a celebration of the local football which sees the minnows try their best to take down the established and famous sides from the top-tier.
In Barcelos, Gil Vicente hosted Real Massamá, a club best known for being Nani’s first club and who currently play in Lisbon FA’s Premier Division (4th tier of Portuguese football) in a 2-1 win.
The match began with Gil Vicente imposing themselves as the strongest side, consistently attacking and plenty of chances went wayward. The away side Real Massamá then started to scare the home side, with goalkeeper Adriano having to perform top saves to keep the ball out of the net.
Mohsen came on to the pitch in the second half and gave Gil Vicente a new life, playing alongside the other striker, Simy Nwankwo. In the 67th minute Mohsen scored his first goal in Portugal. Diogo Viana crossed the ball into the edge of the box and Mohsen took his chance with a powerful shot that went into the corner of the Real net.
Despite the goal and with Real’s players starting to weaken they managed to equalize in the 80th minute thanks to Fati, who made the best of a defensive error.
With extra-time already in sight, Gil Vicente snatched a late winner, after Diogo Viana latched onto Simy’s mistake and fired home.
The other clubs featuring Egyptian players also all progressed to the fourth round.
Mohamed Ibrahim was replaced in the second half as Marítimo beat 3rd tier side Gondomar 4-0.
Whilst, Saleh Gomaa was the only Egyptian to feature for Nacional playing the full 90 minutes as his side thrashed Alcanenense 6-1, with Aly Ghazal, Mahmoud Ezzat and Aly Fathy not making it into the squad.
Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ didn’t play as Rio Ave squeezed a tight 0-1 win against Coimbrões.
The two Mokhtar brothers Amr and Ahmed weren’t present as Feirense took down Amora 5-1.