Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
Walid Soliman receives four-match ban, issues apology
Walid Soliman was sent-off against Assiouty Sport on Monday after receiving two yellow cards, before he raved at the match official.
The 29-year-old Al Ahly playmaker has today made a formal apology to referee Sherif Rashwan and accepted the four-match ban and 5,000 EGP fine from the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) Competitions Committee.
“What happened from me wasn’t on purpose, I just went to the referee to show him my opinion about his decision.” He added: “I was afraid from the second yellow card.”
“When I raised my hands while I was standing before the referee, it appeared on television that I’m assaulting him,” Soliman said, referring to the image that went viral of him appearing to lift the referee’s shirt.
Walid Soliman lifts the referee's shirt after getting a red card. pic.twitter.com/FCg016uyjD
— Marwan A. (@Marwan_KF) October 27, 2014
“I tried to contact the referee to make a personal apology but I couldn’t, so I apologize to him and to everybody and I accept any decision from the competitions committee,” he concluded.
It’s worth mentioning that Al Ahly have decided to impose a punishment on Walid, the club’s football director and former captain Wael Gomaa revealed.