Zamalek midfielder Ibrahim Abdel-Khalek has joined Arab Contractors on loan until the end of...
- Abdel-Khalek joins Arab Contractors on loan
- VIDEO: El-Sheikh scores late to send Egypt to World Military Cup semis
- Ramzy Khaled joins Arab Contractors on loan
- OFFICIAL: Egypt’s Amr Warda joins PAOK from Panetolikos
- Ghana to use Egypt game as rehearsal for quarterfinals, says Andre Ayew
- Elneny: I want to become an Arsenal legend
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly sign Kilmarnock striker Souleymane Coulibaly
- OFFICIAL: Abdel-Shafy misses Ghana match in AFCON
- Asamoah Gyan seeking revenge against Egypt
- Algeria coach Georges Leekens resigns after AFCON elimination
Mourinho disappointed by Salah’s performance among others in Chelsea win
Mourinho was reportedly angry with his reserve players’ displays in Chelsea’s 2-1 away win in the League Cup round of 16 tie against Shrewsbury, as they failed to impose themselves against the League Two side, leaving the Portuguese manager with an ‘easy’ team selection for Saturday, according to The Daily Mail.
Salah, who was only making his second start for Chelsea this season – since the Blues’ previous League Cup tie with Bolton Wanderers – assisted the opener scored by Didier Drogba, but failed to make a positive impression on his manager with his poor finishing on display.
Andre Schurrle, Nathan Ake, Kurt Zouma and Andreas Christensen were other fringe players who started at the Greenhouse Meadow.
“If players that played 90 minutes two days ago were fantastic, I expect people who are not playing a lot to raise the level to create me problems.
“I love problems of choices, and it is easy to choose my team for Saturday,” Mourinho continued.
When asked specifically if Salah and Schurrle had disappointed him, Mourinho replied: “Yes.”
Mourinho shed some light on his reasoning for replacing Salah and Nigerian international John Obi Mikel on the 79th minute mark with regular starters Willian and Nemanja Matić respectively, with the scoreline levelled at 1-1.
“When you have the possibility of extra time you have to control the emotions as a manager,” Mourinho said, “I had to make two changes to give a new blood and new kind of qualities to the team.”
“I was worried when they equalised but we go through and Didier played a massive part in that,” he added.
“Hopefully he will be good for the weekend but we will have to see because right now his character is stronger than his body.
“Maybe what he has done is through his character – not his body.
“That’s what makes players special and if I was a kid player and I play with this guy on my side, 18, 19, 21, 22, what can I wish more? For the kids it is a privilege and they have to learn by example.”