Wadi Degla manager Ahmed Hossam ”Mido” has revealed that Al Ahly forward Emad...
- Mido: Emad Meteb would be welcomed at Wadi Degla
- Alain Giresse’s agent confirms Zamalek negotiations
- VIDEO: Egypt win 3-0 after a convincing performance against Togo
- Zamalek youngster Ahmed Aboul-Fetouh signs five-year contract extension
- Al Ahly’s Ahmed Adel: Ekramy is the best goalkeeper in Egypt
- Cuper offers advice to Roma star Salah
- Hector Cuper praises ‘incomparable’ El-Hadary
- Agent discusses Trezeguet’s future after Mouscron loan
- Al Ahly impose media ban on players following Meteb, Fathi comments
- EXCLUSIVE: Angola’s Beto excited to work with Flavio
Abdel-Shafy ruled out of AFCON qualifiers due to injury
Left-back Mohamed Abdel-Shafy has sustained a muscle tear in Saudi Arabia and will miss Egypt’s upcoming 2015 AFCON qualifiers against Senegal and Tunisia, causing a problem for manager Shawky Gharib.
Abdel-Shafy, who plays for Al-Ahli Jeddah, did not complete the Saudi Arabian side’s latest fixture last Thursday and was taken off during the game on account of a muscle tear.
The former Zamalek left-back had been Gharib’s first choice in the position for the Pharaohs this past period.
The player flew from Al-Ahli Jeddah to Cairo to undergo medical scans under the supervision of the national team’s medical staff, who announced today that the player will be out of action for a period of three to four weeks.
Abdel-Shafy’s injury comes on the heels of news about striker Amr Gamal sustaining an ACL tear. Goalkeeper Sherif Ekramy, who missed the last two qualifiers, also did not recover from his injury and will not take part in the upcoming games.
But Abdel-Shafy’s injury will be particularly troublesome for Gharib because he has not found a back-up in the left-back position in the past period. Gharib’s alternative was to play Ahmed Fathi out of position at left-back, while his third choice, Al Ahly’s Sabry Rahil, is currently suffering from a drop of form at the club.