Al Ahly defender Saad Samir commented on the club’s match against Bidvest Wits in the...
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
- Abou-Rida hopes EFA crises won’t affect national team
- Egypt’s national team director discusses squad changes
- Mido: African football will not move forward with referees like Lamptey
- Massimo Busacca tutors Egyptian officials on video assistance technology
- Volleyball: Red Devils beat Ahli Benghazi 3-1 in African Club Championship
- Former Belgium coach Marc Wilmots appointed Ivory Coast manager
- Salah’s AS Roma announce United States summer tour
Sporting coach: Rabia needs to evolve as a player
In the press conference before Sunday’s game with Paços de Ferreira, Sporting coach Marco Silva addressed the situation surrounding his shaky defense.
The centre-back trio of Maurício, Paulo Oliveira and Naby Sarr has been the source of many headaches in the Sporting Lisbon defense. Coach Marco Silva has been rotating between them, with results so different no clear solution was found.
“We’ve been changing the centre-backs sometimes out of necessity, last week we changed due to a suspension and we’ve changed due to injuries,” he said.
“I don’t think that only happens at Sporting. At the moment, we only have three centre-backs, since Rabia is in a very delayed stage of his evolution as a player, adding to his injury.”
Rabia recently returned to action with Sporting’s B team following an injury which sidelined him for over a month, just a few weeks after arriving at Sporting, where he was supposed to be another member of the main team.
However, last week, Rabia was one of the main culprits in Sporting B’s 5-0 loss against Atlético CP. Rabia’s mistakes were the direct cause of the first two goals and his poor positioning and marking was noticeable in the remaining goals, which may have compromised his promotion to the main team for now.
Sporting sit 6th in the table right now and will face 4th placed Paços de Ferreira on Sunday afternoon.