Hull let a lead slip as they drew 1-1 against fellow newly-promoted...
- Elmohamady plays full 90 minutes as Hull draw with Burnley
- Mamdouh Hashem: PAUC is like my family
- Elmohamady speaks about adapting to English culture, life at Hull
- Karim Nedved aiming to use U-20 AFCON as stepping stone to Europe
- Ex-Zamalek’s Ahmed Nasser undergoing trial at Nurnberg
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Hafez plays full 90 in Lens 2-0 win
- U-20 AFCON: Egypt coach Gamal acknowledges pressure to deliver
- Mali U20 coach: We aim to win our match against Egypt
- Ibrahim Hassan scores from the spot as Ismaily draws with El-Gaish
- Elneny: I couldn’t believe the Arsenal negotiations
Sporting coach: Rabia needs to evolve as a player
In the press conference before Sunday’s game with Paços de Ferreira, Sporting coach Marco Silva addressed the situation surrounding his shaky defense.
The centre-back trio of Maurício, Paulo Oliveira and Naby Sarr has been the source of many headaches in the Sporting Lisbon defense. Coach Marco Silva has been rotating between them, with results so different no clear solution was found.
“We’ve been changing the centre-backs sometimes out of necessity, last week we changed due to a suspension and we’ve changed due to injuries,” he said.
“I don’t think that only happens at Sporting. At the moment, we only have three centre-backs, since Rabia is in a very delayed stage of his evolution as a player, adding to his injury.”
Rabia recently returned to action with Sporting’s B team following an injury which sidelined him for over a month, just a few weeks after arriving at Sporting, where he was supposed to be another member of the main team.
However, last week, Rabia was one of the main culprits in Sporting B’s 5-0 loss against Atlético CP. Rabia’s mistakes were the direct cause of the first two goals and his poor positioning and marking was noticeable in the remaining goals, which may have compromised his promotion to the main team for now.
Sporting sit 6th in the table right now and will face 4th placed Paços de Ferreira on Sunday afternoon.