Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
Sporting coach: Rabia needs to evolve as a player
In the press conference before Sunday’s game with Paços de Ferreira, Sporting coach Marco Silva addressed the situation surrounding his shaky defense.
The centre-back trio of Maurício, Paulo Oliveira and Naby Sarr has been the source of many headaches in the Sporting Lisbon defense. Coach Marco Silva has been rotating between them, with results so different no clear solution was found.
“We’ve been changing the centre-backs sometimes out of necessity, last week we changed due to a suspension and we’ve changed due to injuries,” he said.
“I don’t think that only happens at Sporting. At the moment, we only have three centre-backs, since Rabia is in a very delayed stage of his evolution as a player, adding to his injury.”
Rabia recently returned to action with Sporting’s B team following an injury which sidelined him for over a month, just a few weeks after arriving at Sporting, where he was supposed to be another member of the main team.
However, last week, Rabia was one of the main culprits in Sporting B’s 5-0 loss against Atlético CP. Rabia’s mistakes were the direct cause of the first two goals and his poor positioning and marking was noticeable in the remaining goals, which may have compromised his promotion to the main team for now.
Sporting sit 6th in the table right now and will face 4th placed Paços de Ferreira on Sunday afternoon.