Mohamed Sanad’s Club Balonmano Naturhouse La Rioja beat Macedonian HC Metalrug to qualify to champions...
- Mohamed Sanad’s La Rioja qualify to play-offs in Champions League
- Ibrahim Nour El-Dein: I did not hesitate to rule this penalty
- Mansour: Zamalek won’t continue the league
- Late Ekramy heroics seal crucial win for Ahly over Maqassa
- Baldissoni: We have no intention to replace Salah
- Mohamed Shawky joins Wadi Degla’s coaching staff
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
Egyptians absent as Chelsea and Sporting cruise past Champions League opponents
Both Mohamed Salah and Rami Rabia watched their teams defeat opposition comfortably in the UEFA Champions League as Chelsea and Sporting Lisbon won their matches against FC Schalke and Maribor respectively.
Chelsea thrashed Schalke 5-0 away from home in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday night, while Egyptian international Mohamed Salah – whose being linked with a January move to Turkish side Beşiktaş – was once again left out of José Mourinho’s squad.
Goals from skipper John Terry and Willian gave the visitors a two-goal lead before Kirchhoff put the ball in his own net to end the half with Chelsea three up.
In the second half, Ivory Coast legend Didier Drogba tapped in his 50th goal in UEFA competitions – becoming the first African player to reach that tally in history – and his 43rd in the Champions League. Ramires ended the thrashing two minutes later to make it 5-0 and Chelsea are now guaranteed to top the group.
Sporting 3-1 Maribor
In the same group, Sporting brushed off Maribor 3-1 at the Estádio José Alvalade. Goals from Mane and Nani put the hosts in front before a Jefferson own-goal gave the visitors hope.
However, in form Algerian striker Islam Slimani scored 25 minutes from time to give the Portuguese giants a big chance of progressing to the next round.
Egypt’s Rami Rabia was also once again left out of the squad, having yet to make his first team debut since recovering from an injury.