An unfortunate day for the Egyptian trio in the British Open Squash...
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
- CAF names referees for Al Masry Confederation Cup playoff match
- Mortada announces Mohamed Helmy’s departure
- Angola appoint Flávio as assistant manager
- SQUASH: Potential all Egyptian men’s final awaits ahead of semi-finals
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
Egyptians absent as Chelsea and Sporting cruise past Champions League opponents
Both Mohamed Salah and Rami Rabia watched their teams defeat opposition comfortably in the UEFA Champions League as Chelsea and Sporting Lisbon won their matches against FC Schalke and Maribor respectively.
Chelsea thrashed Schalke 5-0 away from home in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday night, while Egyptian international Mohamed Salah – whose being linked with a January move to Turkish side Beşiktaş – was once again left out of José Mourinho’s squad.
Goals from skipper John Terry and Willian gave the visitors a two-goal lead before Kirchhoff put the ball in his own net to end the half with Chelsea three up.
In the second half, Ivory Coast legend Didier Drogba tapped in his 50th goal in UEFA competitions – becoming the first African player to reach that tally in history – and his 43rd in the Champions League. Ramires ended the thrashing two minutes later to make it 5-0 and Chelsea are now guaranteed to top the group.
Sporting 3-1 Maribor
In the same group, Sporting brushed off Maribor 3-1 at the Estádio José Alvalade. Goals from Mane and Nani put the hosts in front before a Jefferson own-goal gave the visitors hope.
However, in form Algerian striker Islam Slimani scored 25 minutes from time to give the Portuguese giants a big chance of progressing to the next round.
Egypt’s Rami Rabia was also once again left out of the squad, having yet to make his first team debut since recovering from an injury.