Egypt’s Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica defeats Braga one nil...
- Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ excluded from squad as Benfica down Braga
- VIDEO: Warda assists twice in PAOK 4-0 win over Veria
- Mohamed Salah scores in Roma’s 4-1 win against Torino
- VIDEO: Keeper Busca’s heroics help Al Masry advance in Confederation Cup
- VIDEO: Al Ahly return to winning ways after beating Arab Contractors
- Zamalek to face Nigeria’s Enugu Rangers in CAF Champions League
- Former Al Ahly manager Garrido sacked by Al-Ettifaq
- VIDEO: Smouha edge Maqassa in seven-goal thriller
- Zambia announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Shikabala excluded from Zamalek squad against Tala’a El-Gaish
Asamoah Gyan named best foreigner in Asian Champions League
Gyan scored seven goals in the group stage of the competition and a further five in the knockout stages for Al Ain.
His goals were not enough to help his side to the final, however, as they were beaten by Saudi Arabian giants Al Hilal 4-2 on aggregate in the semis.
The Ghana striker stated that his recent form and accolades with Al Ain is enough justification for his shock move to UAE back in 2011.
Gyan’s tally was two more than his closest rival – Al Hilal’s Nasser Al-Shamrani, who won the Best Asian Player award.
The 28-year-old striker also finished top scorer in the Arabian Gulf League a few weeks ago for the 3rd consecutive year.
“I know a lot of people were unhappy with my decision to move to the UAE,” he said.
“A lot of people bashed me for the move but I knew what I was doing. Yes, the league there is not as competitive as Europe, but people have gone there before me and have been unable to do what I am doing there,” he added.
“The awards I keep winning and the goals I keep scoring are there for anybody to see.”
“I remember when I first moved to the UAE; I said that I want to help bring more attention on the game here. Nowadays people talk a lot about the game there and that is good.”
“That is how it started with the best leagues in the world and hopefully one day this league will also get to that level,” he concluded.
Gyan is currently nursing an injury, but it should heal in time for him to join the Ghana squad for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea.