Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal has stressed that Egypt manager Hector Cuper...
- Amr Gamal: Cuper has been supporting me
- Cuper impressed by new faces after Togo win
- Zamalek: New coach issue to be concluded on Saturday
- Handball: Al Ahly reach Cup semis, Zamalek eliminated
- Elmohamady: Egypt closer than ever to reaching World Cup
- Warda vows to fight for regular spot in Egypt squad
- CAF president Ahmad supports Morocco 2026 World Cup bid
- Mido: Emad Meteb would be welcomed at Wadi Degla
- Alain Giresse’s agent confirms Zamalek negotiations
- VIDEO: Egypt win 3-0 after a convincing performance against Togo
Brahimi named BBC African Footballer of the Year
Yacine Brahimi has beaten Nigerian Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama and Ivorian Yaya Toure to be named the 2014 BBC African Footballer of the Year.
The Algerian and Porto forward was awarded for his strong performances for club and country; he was key in Algeria’s World Cup qualification campaign and the historic last 16 result at the tournament proper.
Brahimi was also impressive for his former club side Granda in the Spanish league, for which he was named La Liga’s African Footballer of the Year.
The Porto winger told BBC sport: “It’s a big honour for me to receive this wonderful trophy. I owe it to my country, Algeria, and to all the people who voted for me.”
“It’s also a trophy for the whole of Africa, because it rewards an African player. So I am really very happy. This trophy is going to give me more strength, more desire to work, to get better, to lean so that I can keep having great performance.”
Yacine Brahimi, 24, becomes the first Algerian to win the BBC African of the Year award, and the first North African since Egypt’s Mohamed Abou-Treika.