Speaking exclusively to KingFut.com, former Arsenal winger and current coach Robert Pires...
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
- Afriyie: I advice Al-Ahly to sign Ebenezer Assifuah
- Spalletti comments on Salah’s absence ahead of Rome Derby
- Kahraba: Fans are the reason behind my performance
- Inzaghi: Mohamed Salah added value to Roma
- Radja Nainggolan: Salah is an important player
- Egypt’s women beat hosts France to reach World Championship final
Brahimi named BBC African Footballer of the Year
Yacine Brahimi has beaten Nigerian Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama and Ivorian Yaya Toure to be named the 2014 BBC African Footballer of the Year.
The Algerian and Porto forward was awarded for his strong performances for club and country; he was key in Algeria’s World Cup qualification campaign and the historic last 16 result at the tournament proper.
Brahimi was also impressive for his former club side Granda in the Spanish league, for which he was named La Liga’s African Footballer of the Year.
The Porto winger told BBC sport: “It’s a big honour for me to receive this wonderful trophy. I owe it to my country, Algeria, and to all the people who voted for me.”
“It’s also a trophy for the whole of Africa, because it rewards an African player. So I am really very happy. This trophy is going to give me more strength, more desire to work, to get better, to lean so that I can keep having great performance.”
Yacine Brahimi, 24, becomes the first Algerian to win the BBC African of the Year award, and the first North African since Egypt’s Mohamed Abou-Treika.