The Windy City Open 2017, which will kick off on Thursday in...
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
- Warda voted Man of The Match in PAOK’s win over Veria
- Ahmed Nagy: El-Hadary will go to the World Cup
Brahimi named BBC African Footballer of the Year
Yacine Brahimi has beaten Nigerian Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama and Ivorian Yaya Toure to be named the 2014 BBC African Footballer of the Year.
The Algerian and Porto forward was awarded for his strong performances for club and country; he was key in Algeria’s World Cup qualification campaign and the historic last 16 result at the tournament proper.
Brahimi was also impressive for his former club side Granda in the Spanish league, for which he was named La Liga’s African Footballer of the Year.
The Porto winger told BBC sport: “It’s a big honour for me to receive this wonderful trophy. I owe it to my country, Algeria, and to all the people who voted for me.”
“It’s also a trophy for the whole of Africa, because it rewards an African player. So I am really very happy. This trophy is going to give me more strength, more desire to work, to get better, to lean so that I can keep having great performance.”
Yacine Brahimi, 24, becomes the first Algerian to win the BBC African of the Year award, and the first North African since Egypt’s Mohamed Abou-Treika.