Saad Samir capitalized on a bizarre error from goalkeeper Mohamed Abou-Gabal as...
- VIDEO: Late Samir goal sees Ahly defeat Smouha
- Aswan hold Zamalek to third goalless draw this season
- Mido: Ibrahimovic and I almost killed each other
- Mido: I should’ve stayed at Marseille longer
- Ghaly, Antwi excluded as Hossam El-Badry announces squad vs Smouha
- Mortada Mansour: Zamalek have decided against forfeiting the league
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
2000 Ahly supporters invade Cairo International Stadium, situation handled by security
In spite of the gates being scheduled to open 1 pm, the Ministry of Interior announced that hundreds of Ahly fans broke into the premises.
The fans then agreed to depart the stadium as security convinced them to be searched before re-entering.
Security authorities were (reportedly) on the brink of cancelling the game, if the fans were to refuse the request.
“About 2000 broke into Cairo [International] Stadium in the early hours of Saturday,” the MOI said in an official statement.
“The fans attempted to break through one of the stadium’s gates using a truck,” the spokesman continued.
“All the legal procedures are being carried out to control the situation, and to eliminate any provocateurs from attendance,” he concluded.
25,000 fans are to attend today’s game following a 2-year crowd ban as security try to take control of the situation.
The match is set to kick off at 6:00 p.m. local time, with both teams aiming for their first ever Confederation Cup title.