Egyptian International Mohamed Abdelshafy returned to Al Ahli’s lineup as they beat...
- Mohamed Abdelshafy features as Al Ahli beat Bunyodkor
- Ifeanyi Ubah: Al Masry scored through a controversial penalty
- Lionel Messi speaks about Egypt’s greatness and pyramids
- Cameroon announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
2000 Ahly supporters invade Cairo International Stadium, situation handled by security
In spite of the gates being scheduled to open 1 pm, the Ministry of Interior announced that hundreds of Ahly fans broke into the premises.
The fans then agreed to depart the stadium as security convinced them to be searched before re-entering.
Security authorities were (reportedly) on the brink of cancelling the game, if the fans were to refuse the request.
“About 2000 broke into Cairo [International] Stadium in the early hours of Saturday,” the MOI said in an official statement.
“The fans attempted to break through one of the stadium’s gates using a truck,” the spokesman continued.
“All the legal procedures are being carried out to control the situation, and to eliminate any provocateurs from attendance,” he concluded.
25,000 fans are to attend today’s game following a 2-year crowd ban as security try to take control of the situation.
The match is set to kick off at 6:00 p.m. local time, with both teams aiming for their first ever Confederation Cup title.