Egypt international Ahmed Hamoudi scored to help Al-Batin secure a 1-1 home...
- VIDEO: Hamoudi scores as Al Batin, Al-Qadisiyah share spoils
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
2000 Ahly supporters invade Cairo International Stadium, situation handled by security
In spite of the gates being scheduled to open 1 pm, the Ministry of Interior announced that hundreds of Ahly fans broke into the premises.
The fans then agreed to depart the stadium as security convinced them to be searched before re-entering.
Security authorities were (reportedly) on the brink of cancelling the game, if the fans were to refuse the request.
“About 2000 broke into Cairo [International] Stadium in the early hours of Saturday,” the MOI said in an official statement.
“The fans attempted to break through one of the stadium’s gates using a truck,” the spokesman continued.
“All the legal procedures are being carried out to control the situation, and to eliminate any provocateurs from attendance,” he concluded.
25,000 fans are to attend today’s game following a 2-year crowd ban as security try to take control of the situation.
The match is set to kick off at 6:00 p.m. local time, with both teams aiming for their first ever Confederation Cup title.