Al Ahly have defeated Kenyan side Prisons 3-0 in the quarter-finals of the African...
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
- Egypt assistant coach praises Al Ahly striker Amr Gamal
2000 Ahly supporters invade Cairo International Stadium, situation handled by security
In spite of the gates being scheduled to open 1 pm, the Ministry of Interior announced that hundreds of Ahly fans broke into the premises.
The fans then agreed to depart the stadium as security convinced them to be searched before re-entering.
Security authorities were (reportedly) on the brink of cancelling the game, if the fans were to refuse the request.
“About 2000 broke into Cairo [International] Stadium in the early hours of Saturday,” the MOI said in an official statement.
“The fans attempted to break through one of the stadium’s gates using a truck,” the spokesman continued.
“All the legal procedures are being carried out to control the situation, and to eliminate any provocateurs from attendance,” he concluded.
25,000 fans are to attend today’s game following a 2-year crowd ban as security try to take control of the situation.
The match is set to kick off at 6:00 p.m. local time, with both teams aiming for their first ever Confederation Cup title.