Héctor Cúper spoke about Abdel-Shafy’s situation, Elneny and Kahraba ahead of Egypt’s crucial encounter...
- Cúper: I am totally convinced with Elneny
- EXCLUSIVE | Al Ahly looking to hijack Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- EXCLUSIVE | Aly Ghazal completes move to China’s Guizhou Zhicheng
- EXCLUSIVE | Mali’s Mamoutou N’Diaye: We dominated against Egypt
- Grant: Egypt knows how to play good football
- Kimoko Sissoko joins Ittihad of Alexandria
- Handball: Croatia eliminate Egypt from World Championship
- AFCON Round-up: Hosts and debutants eliminated
- Reactions to Egypt’s victory over Uganda in AFCON
- EXCLUSIVE | Agent confirms Aly Ghazal move to China in ‘final stages’
VIDEO: Salah stars as Chelsea ease past Sporting
Chelsea started strong and full of energy with Salah showing great determination and speed in the early stages. It wasn’t long before Chelsea took the lead.
Salah showed great speed to catch up with Fabregas’ pass, he passed it back to Filipe Luis who was brought down in the penalty area. Fabregas took the penalty, and calmly passed it into the net. It wasn’t long before Chelsea got the second; Andre Schurrle smashed it in just outside the box.
However, the Portuguese giants knew they had to at least draw to stand a chance of qualification, and they weren’t going out without a fight. That was more evident when young defender Jonathan Silva volleyed in brilliantly to make it 2-1 early in the second half.
Chelsea responded just 7 minutes later when Fabregas’ in-swinger was met by the ever goal shy John Obi Mikel to seal victory for the Blues.
It is worth noting that Salah has been linked with several clubs recently and there is no doubt that today’s performance may convince Mourinho to hold onto the Egyptian international. Fellow Egyptian Rami Rabia was once again left out of the Sporting squad, while Shikabala has yet to return to Portugal.
Sporting will now play in the Europa League as they just missed out on the last of 16 with 7 points. Chelsea qualify with 14 points with German side Schalke, who recorded 8 points following a 1-0 win over Maribor.