Misr El-Maqassa defeated Al Masry 4-2 in gameweek 21 of the Egyptian...
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
- Saad Samir: I told Bidvest’s striker that he destroyed my dreams as a film star
- Abdallah El-Said: Egypt’s journey to the World Cup is far from over despite good standing
- Al Ahly and Zamalek learn of CAF Champions League match dates
VIDEO: Salah stars as Chelsea ease past Sporting
Chelsea started strong and full of energy with Salah showing great determination and speed in the early stages. It wasn’t long before Chelsea took the lead.
Salah showed great speed to catch up with Fabregas’ pass, he passed it back to Filipe Luis who was brought down in the penalty area. Fabregas took the penalty, and calmly passed it into the net. It wasn’t long before Chelsea got the second; Andre Schurrle smashed it in just outside the box.
However, the Portuguese giants knew they had to at least draw to stand a chance of qualification, and they weren’t going out without a fight. That was more evident when young defender Jonathan Silva volleyed in brilliantly to make it 2-1 early in the second half.
Chelsea responded just 7 minutes later when Fabregas’ in-swinger was met by the ever goal shy John Obi Mikel to seal victory for the Blues.
It is worth noting that Salah has been linked with several clubs recently and there is no doubt that today’s performance may convince Mourinho to hold onto the Egyptian international. Fellow Egyptian Rami Rabia was once again left out of the Sporting squad, while Shikabala has yet to return to Portugal.
Sporting will now play in the Europa League as they just missed out on the last of 16 with 7 points. Chelsea qualify with 14 points with German side Schalke, who recorded 8 points following a 1-0 win over Maribor.