Mahmoud Abdel-Moneim ‘Kahraba’ scored once as Al Ittihad overcame a one-goal deficit...
- VIDEO: Kahraba scores as Al Ittihad come back to defeat Al Faisaly
- De Sciglio: Roma will be dangerous despite missing Mohamed Salah
- Elmohamady features in thrilling 3-3 draw against Crystal Palace
- Sobhi features, with Elneny an unused substitute in Arsenal’s 3-1 win
- Barnsley narrowly defeat Norwich
- Karim Hafez features in Lens’ 3-1 defeat to Strasbourg
- Elneny: The past 11 months have been the best of my life
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli edge Al Raed
- Al Masry see off Petrojet to continue winning streak
- Patrick Malo: Burkina Faso a good team, I am fine at Smouha
VIDEO: Salah stars as Chelsea ease past Sporting
Chelsea started strong and full of energy with Salah showing great determination and speed in the early stages. It wasn’t long before Chelsea took the lead.
Salah showed great speed to catch up with Fabregas’ pass, he passed it back to Filipe Luis who was brought down in the penalty area. Fabregas took the penalty, and calmly passed it into the net. It wasn’t long before Chelsea got the second; Andre Schurrle smashed it in just outside the box.
However, the Portuguese giants knew they had to at least draw to stand a chance of qualification, and they weren’t going out without a fight. That was more evident when young defender Jonathan Silva volleyed in brilliantly to make it 2-1 early in the second half.
Chelsea responded just 7 minutes later when Fabregas’ in-swinger was met by the ever goal shy John Obi Mikel to seal victory for the Blues.
It is worth noting that Salah has been linked with several clubs recently and there is no doubt that today’s performance may convince Mourinho to hold onto the Egyptian international. Fellow Egyptian Rami Rabia was once again left out of the Sporting squad, while Shikabala has yet to return to Portugal.
Sporting will now play in the Europa League as they just missed out on the last of 16 with 7 points. Chelsea qualify with 14 points with German side Schalke, who recorded 8 points following a 1-0 win over Maribor.