Braga suffered a 3-2 defeat in a thrilling game against third-placed Sporting...
- Dost nets hat-trick in Sporting’s 3-2 win over Braga
- VIDEO: Al Ahly’s winning streak ends with draw against Entag
- Elneny left out of Arsenal’s squad as Gunners lose to Tottenham
- VIDEO: Warda scores in PAOK’s 5-1 win against Kerkyra
- Salah features as Roma lose Derby della Capitale
- EFA fines Inacio and Mido
- Inacio: I am eager to win titles with Zamalek
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Elmo plays, Sobhi watches as both Stoke and Hull have goalless draws
- Sam Morsy’s Wigan relegated after defeat to Reading
- FEATURE: Why is Egyptian Women’s Volleyball so much more successful than football?
VIDEO: Salah stars as Chelsea ease past Sporting
Chelsea started strong and full of energy with Salah showing great determination and speed in the early stages. It wasn’t long before Chelsea took the lead.
Salah showed great speed to catch up with Fabregas’ pass, he passed it back to Filipe Luis who was brought down in the penalty area. Fabregas took the penalty, and calmly passed it into the net. It wasn’t long before Chelsea got the second; Andre Schurrle smashed it in just outside the box.
However, the Portuguese giants knew they had to at least draw to stand a chance of qualification, and they weren’t going out without a fight. That was more evident when young defender Jonathan Silva volleyed in brilliantly to make it 2-1 early in the second half.
Chelsea responded just 7 minutes later when Fabregas’ in-swinger was met by the ever goal shy John Obi Mikel to seal victory for the Blues.
It is worth noting that Salah has been linked with several clubs recently and there is no doubt that today’s performance may convince Mourinho to hold onto the Egyptian international. Fellow Egyptian Rami Rabia was once again left out of the Sporting squad, while Shikabala has yet to return to Portugal.
Sporting will now play in the Europa League as they just missed out on the last of 16 with 7 points. Chelsea qualify with 14 points with German side Schalke, who recorded 8 points following a 1-0 win over Maribor.