Egypt international Ahmed Hamoudi scored to help Al-Batin secure a 1-1 home...
- VIDEO: Hamoudi scores as Al Batin, Al-Qadisiyah share spoils
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
ES Setif defeat Western Sydney Wanderers on penalties to clinch fifth place
The scoring started early as WSW drew first blood; 31-year-old winger Romeo Castelen hit a beautiful shot from outside the box in the 5th minute, and Setif ‘keeper Khedairia was helpless to prevent the ball from going in.
The Algerians finally got on the scoreboard in the 50th minute of the match, thanks to an own goal by Wanderers defender Daniel Mullen.
The own goal seemed to spark a little energy in the Setif players as they scored a goal of their own 7 minutes later; Abdelmalek Ziaya scored from the center of the box with a right footed shot to the top left corner of the goal. The opposition goalkeeper – Bouzanis – had no chance of stopping the shot from Ziaya as that led to ES Setif gaining the lead just after halftime.
Time was running out for the Wanderers, but they managed to draw even in the 88th minute through an impressive Vitor Saba free-kick.
It was straight to penalties after stoppage time, as per tournament regulations. Setif then triumped in an entertaining shootout that saw WSW’s Bouzanis miss a penalty, to earn a fifth-placed finish.
Elsewhere, Real Madrid trounced Cruz Azul by four goals to nil yesterday, while Auckland City are due to face San Lorenzo in the other semifinal at 9:30 p.m. Egypt time.
– By Chase Latvaaho