Ghana’s Samuel Afum scored his first official goal since signing for Wadi...
- Ayala’s late strike downs Abdel-Shafy’s Al Ahli
- VIDEO: Ghana’s Samuel Afum nets first league goal in Degla draw against El-Gaish
- South Africa Sport Minister angered by Sundowns poor treatment in Egypt
- Tala’a El-Gaish knocked out of Volleyball Club World Championship
- Hossam El Badry supports Zamalek ahead of Champions League final
- Salah’s Roma share spoils with Austria Vienna in Europa league
- Kahraba features in disappointing loss to Al Shabab
- Defiant Al Masry come back to end Smouha’s winning start
- Mamelodi Sundowns files a complaint against Zamalek
- Zamalek legend Hazem Emam says winning African title ‘not impossible’
Salah unused as Chelsea progress to League Cup semi-final
The game started dull and uneventful but it soon picked up. Chelsea’s in-form winger Eden Hazard cut inside and smashed a low shot past Derby keeper Grant after 22 minutes. Chelsea were dealt a blow late in the first half as Kurt Zouma suffered a suspected concussion and had to be stretchered off at the end the first half.
Derby came out inspired and full of energy in the second half, but it was Chelsea who struck again when Felipe luis bended a beautiful free kick to give his side a two goal cushion. Derby had ideas as Russels cutback was curled in by Bryson to give the high flying Championship side hope.
However, Derby were reduced to 10 men when the referee gave Buxton a soft and unusual red card for a tug on Loic Remy. Chelsea took advantage only 4 minutes later as Schurrle’s follow up from Remy’s saved shot gave the Blues yet another victory which sends them to the semi-final of the League Cup.
It is important to note that Egyptian international Mohamed Salah was left on the bench yet again, after his impressive performance a week ago against Sporting Lisbon in the Champions League. The Egyptian has been linked with many Clubs which include Inter Milan and Napoli, however Chelsea Manager Jose Mourinho has ruled out Salah leaving the club.