AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
Salah unused as Chelsea progress to League Cup semi-final
The game started dull and uneventful but it soon picked up. Chelsea’s in-form winger Eden Hazard cut inside and smashed a low shot past Derby keeper Grant after 22 minutes. Chelsea were dealt a blow late in the first half as Kurt Zouma suffered a suspected concussion and had to be stretchered off at the end the first half.
Derby came out inspired and full of energy in the second half, but it was Chelsea who struck again when Felipe luis bended a beautiful free kick to give his side a two goal cushion. Derby had ideas as Russels cutback was curled in by Bryson to give the high flying Championship side hope.
However, Derby were reduced to 10 men when the referee gave Buxton a soft and unusual red card for a tug on Loic Remy. Chelsea took advantage only 4 minutes later as Schurrle’s follow up from Remy’s saved shot gave the Blues yet another victory which sends them to the semi-final of the League Cup.
It is important to note that Egyptian international Mohamed Salah was left on the bench yet again, after his impressive performance a week ago against Sporting Lisbon in the Champions League. The Egyptian has been linked with many Clubs which include Inter Milan and Napoli, however Chelsea Manager Jose Mourinho has ruled out Salah leaving the club.