Scottish outfit Kilmarnock have turned down a bid from African giants Zamalek...
- EXCLUSIVE: Kilmarnock turn down Zamalek bid for Souleymane Coulibaly
- AFCON Roundup: Guinea Bissau denied historic win
- OFFICIAL: Ghana’s Baba Rahman out of Africa Cup of Nations
- African legend Essam El-Hadary sets sights on 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Hosts Gabon suffer injury setback ahead of Cameroon clash
- Maqassa sign Wadi Degla’s Ragab Nabil
- OFFICIAL: Al Ahly target Ebenezer Assifuah joins Le Havre
- Grant: Happy for the three points, Ghana can do better
- Uganda coach Micho blames ‘stage fright’ for Ghana defeat
- Thievy Bifouma joins Turkey’s Osmanlispor
CAF CL and CC draw: Smouha, Petrojet learn opponents
The draws for the 2015 CAF Champions League and Confederations Cup were held at the federation’s headquarters in Cairo earlier today, and threw up some interesting fixtures.
Al Ahly and Zamalek were exempted – among other clubs – from the preliminary round of the Champions League and Confederations Cup respectively.
Smouha, who finished second in the 2014 Egyptian Premier League season, have been drawn against Libyan powerhouse Al-Ahli Tripoli.
Petrojet, meanwhile, have landed a tie with South Sudanese side Ghazala after qualifying for the playoffs of the previous league season.
The first legs of the preliminary rounds are set for the 13th, 14th and 15th of February, with the return games scheduled two weeks later.
It is worth noting that this is Smouha’s first ever appearance in a continental competition, following their promotion in 2011.
Petrojet are no veterans of CAF competitions either; the Suez-based club are making just their second Confederations Cup appearance after reaching the round of sixteen more than four years ago.