Roma progressed to the next round of the Europa League despite falling...
- Roma advance in Europa League despite losing to Villarreal
- VIDEO: Amr Gamal ends goal drought in Al Ahly win over Degla
- Squash: 20 Egyptians to participate in Windy City Open main draw
- Elneny out for at least three weeks due to injury
- Date set for Arsenal’s FA Cup clash against Lincoln City
- OFFICIAL: Wadi Degla transfer-list Egypt legend Essam El-Hadary
- Spalletti: Salah and Dzeko are world class players
- UEFA Champions League trophy to visit Egypt
- El-Said returns as Al Ahly announce squad for Degla clash
- Amr Warda involved in goal as PAOK exit Europa League
CAF CL and CC draw: Smouha, Petrojet learn opponents
The draws for the 2015 CAF Champions League and Confederations Cup were held at the federation’s headquarters in Cairo earlier today, and threw up some interesting fixtures.
Al Ahly and Zamalek were exempted – among other clubs – from the preliminary round of the Champions League and Confederations Cup respectively.
Smouha, who finished second in the 2014 Egyptian Premier League season, have been drawn against Libyan powerhouse Al-Ahli Tripoli.
Petrojet, meanwhile, have landed a tie with South Sudanese side Ghazala after qualifying for the playoffs of the previous league season.
The first legs of the preliminary rounds are set for the 13th, 14th and 15th of February, with the return games scheduled two weeks later.
It is worth noting that this is Smouha’s first ever appearance in a continental competition, following their promotion in 2011.
Petrojet are no veterans of CAF competitions either; the Suez-based club are making just their second Confederations Cup appearance after reaching the round of sixteen more than four years ago.