Egypt international Mohamed Elneny has praised Mali, describing them as a tough...
- Mali coach: We were under pressure against Egypt
- Elneny: We have a good chance to qualify
- El-Hadary made history as Mali held Egypt to goalless draw
- Ayew scores from the spot as Ghana down Uganda
- Ehab Allam: Hull City have never been a ‘selling club’ under our ownership
- RELIVE: Egypt vs Mali – 2017 Africa Cup of Nations
- VIDEO: Military National Team draw with Poland in the World Military Cup
- Hull City league position putting off prospective buyers, says Ehab Allam
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
Three-man CAF Player of the Year Shortlist announced, Ahly in line for possible award
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Forward – Gabon), Vincent Enyeama (Goalkeeper – Nigeria) and Yaya Touré (Midfielder – Côte d’Ivoire) are the three nominees for the annual award, with Touré attempting to reclaim the accolade after winning it in 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Aubameyang has had a good year with Borussia Dortmund, who reached the UEFA Champions League quarterfinals and finished second in the Bundesliga. The 25-year-old has also entertained fans with his ‘Spiderman’ goal celebration.
Lille OSC’s Enyeama was one of the bright spots in the French club’s strong Ligue 1 campaign, which ended with a third-placed finish and European football qualification. The veteran goalkeeper also excelled between the sticks for his national team during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, as Nigeria exited at the hands of quarterfinalists France in a tight round of sixteen encounter.
Last but not least, attacking midfielder Yaya Touré rounds up the shortlist after another great year for defending English Premier League champions Manchester City. After scoring 20 goals in 2013/14 to help his side to the league title, the 31-year-old had a less than impressive World Cup campaign with the ever-frustrating Côte d’Ivoire, and followed it up with a lacklustre start to the 2014/15 season with City. Touré finally seems to have regained his form, however, with four goals and an assist in his last seven league starts.
Al Ahly feature in the list of clubs nominated for the Club of the Year award, along with AS Vita (DR Congo) and ES Setif (Algeria).
CAF also announced the three-man shortlist for the Best Player Based in Africa award, as well as the shortlists for several other awards. They can be viewed here.