Al Ahly Al Ittihad Al Masry Arab Contractors Gouna ENPPI Hodood Ismaily Petrojet Smouha Wadi Degla Zamalek Arsenal FC Basel Hull City AS Roma Lierse SK SC Braga Nacional Madeira Sporting Lisbon

Stephan El-Shaarawy: I am very fond of my roots

Posted on December 29, 2014

stephan el-shaarawy

Half Egyptian forward Stephan El-Shaarawy mentions his appreciation of his roots while discussing his rise at during the ninth edition of the Dubai International Sports Conference.

The 22-year-old comes from a mixed race family having an Egyptian father and an Italian mother. He discusses, once again, the importance of his Arab roots that pushed him to being a football star.

“I am very fond of my roots. Every time I can, I go back to Egypt to see my family there. The path I followed has been great so far. Luckily, I was able to wear the Milan jersey at 18,” el-Shaarawy said.

“I have always supported this team. It is my fourth year in Milan, I have had great times and some more troubled ones.

“Now, I am happy to wear the jersey. In future, I hope to give a lot more to Milan and to Italian football. Milan made me feel at home right away. Milan is a big family, and I am honoured to wear the jersey.”

El-Shaarawy had made 11 appearances this term under Milan’s new head coach Filippo Inzaghi, returning from a serious foot injury which he had suffered last season.

1. El Shaarawy

December 29, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Egyptian roots, not Arab roots. Anyway he’s not an Egyptian international.

• Ossama

December 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Whats the difference man?

• El Shaarawy

December 30, 2014 at 5:14 PM

@Ossama: The difference is that us Egyptians are not Arabs/Bedouins. We are North African Egyptians, stop this Arab brotherhood shit, we don’t share blood with Al Khalij. We have our own identity, Egypt.

2. ahmed

December 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM

There is one @Ossama. Some Egyptians (even me) like to refer to Egyptians as Egyptians only and not as arabs. Forget about that Arab thing, brought us nothing, but hatred from the so called Arab brothers…we are Egyptians !

3. mido, USA

December 30, 2014 at 7:01 PM

hey you stupid, our land is called “ARAB republic of egypt”. So Egyptians are Arabs too!

• El Shaarawy

January 1, 2015 at 10:04 PM

No, we are not. A language won’t change our identity, we speak a certain Egyptian modified dialect of Arabic but we are not Arabs. People of Senegal speaking French as first language, won’t ever make them French. you know!

4. ahmed

December 30, 2014 at 7:07 PM

@mido Because we speak Arabic nothing more than that, the facts are that we are Egyptians and not Arabs…however if you feel like calling yourself an Arab feel free to do so…no need calling anybody stupid, kinda feels Arabic to do so 😀