Côte d’Ivoire international Gervinho is set to miss the 2017 CAF Africa Cup...
- Gervinho to miss AFCON after ACL rupture
- Hull into League Cup Quarter Finals
- Elneny plays full 90 in comfortable Arsenal win against Reading in EFL cup
- Petrojet see goalless draw with Al Ahly
- Aubameyang, Mahrez included in 30-man Ballon d’Or shortlist
- Mortada Mansour: Momen Soliman was better than Sundowns coach
- Ahmed Hassan Koka’s SC Braga beat GD Chaves in Primeira Liga
- Kahraba victorious over compatriot Hamoudi in Saudi Crown Prince Cup
- NEW | The numbers behind Mamelodi Sundowns’ Champions League triump
- Sundowns players to share $1.5 mln prize money
Gomaa sent off as Benfica edge Nacional in cup
Benfica started brightly and got their reward after 11 minutes asMaxi Pereira’s cross found Jonas who headed in from 6 yards to give the hosts the lead.
Minutes later, Benfica nearly doubled their advantage as Pereira cut inside but his shot hit the bar to deny the Uruguayan a rare goal.
The second half was much more even, as Nacional nearly stunned the hosts as confusion inside the Benfica box gave Mario Rondon a free shot but his effort didn’t hit the target.
However, Benfica replied instantly as Ola John finished well after some neat build up play by the hosts but the goal was disallowed for offside.
Benfica controlled most of the second half, and five minutes before full-time, Egyptian International Saleh Gomaa was sent off for an elbow on Benfica’s star Nico Gaitan to cap a frustrating evening for the visitors.
It’s well worth mentioning that Nacional currently lie in 3rd place in their Taça da Liga group with two games remaining.