Al Ahly and Egypt’s U-20 national team forward Karim Nedved revealed that he...
- Karim Nedved confirms receiving an offer from La Liga club
- Elmohamady plays full 90 minutes as Hull draw with Burnley
- Mamdouh Hashem: PAUC is like my family
- Elmohamady speaks about adapting to English culture, life at Hull
- Ex-Zamalek’s Ahmed Nasser undergoing trial at Nurnberg
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Hafez plays full 90 in Lens 2-0 win
- Mali U20 coach: We aim to win our match against Egypt
- Ibrahim Hassan scores from the spot as Ismaily draws with El-Gaish
- Elneny: I couldn’t believe the Arsenal negotiations
- Mamdouh and Zein feature in Pays d’Aix cup win
Gomaa sent off as Benfica edge Nacional in cup
Benfica started brightly and got their reward after 11 minutes asMaxi Pereira’s cross found Jonas who headed in from 6 yards to give the hosts the lead.
Minutes later, Benfica nearly doubled their advantage as Pereira cut inside but his shot hit the bar to deny the Uruguayan a rare goal.
The second half was much more even, as Nacional nearly stunned the hosts as confusion inside the Benfica box gave Mario Rondon a free shot but his effort didn’t hit the target.
However, Benfica replied instantly as Ola John finished well after some neat build up play by the hosts but the goal was disallowed for offside.
Benfica controlled most of the second half, and five minutes before full-time, Egyptian International Saleh Gomaa was sent off for an elbow on Benfica’s star Nico Gaitan to cap a frustrating evening for the visitors.
It’s well worth mentioning that Nacional currently lie in 3rd place in their Taça da Liga group with two games remaining.