Mohamed Salah scored a brace for his Roma side, who comfortably handled...
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
- El Badry announces Al Ahly squad for Tanta clash
- LISTEN: What to do with a problem by the name of Mortada?
Gomaa sent off as Benfica edge Nacional in cup
Benfica started brightly and got their reward after 11 minutes asMaxi Pereira’s cross found Jonas who headed in from 6 yards to give the hosts the lead.
Minutes later, Benfica nearly doubled their advantage as Pereira cut inside but his shot hit the bar to deny the Uruguayan a rare goal.
The second half was much more even, as Nacional nearly stunned the hosts as confusion inside the Benfica box gave Mario Rondon a free shot but his effort didn’t hit the target.
However, Benfica replied instantly as Ola John finished well after some neat build up play by the hosts but the goal was disallowed for offside.
Benfica controlled most of the second half, and five minutes before full-time, Egyptian International Saleh Gomaa was sent off for an elbow on Benfica’s star Nico Gaitan to cap a frustrating evening for the visitors.
It’s well worth mentioning that Nacional currently lie in 3rd place in their Taça da Liga group with two games remaining.