ENPPI and Egypt midfielder Salah Soliman has been ruled out of Monday’s local national...
- Salah Soliman ruled out of Benin friendly
- Coulibaly pleased with friendly performance, seeks playing time
- Volleyball: Al Ahly through to African Club Championship final
- Mortada Mansour confirms offers for Kahraba, Hamed and Gabr
- Al Ahly legend Manuel José announces retirement from football
- Egypt test goal-line officials during Zamalek friendly
- Hector Cuper: Reaching World Cup is our main target
- CAF secretary general Hicham El Amrani resigns
- SQUASH: Both British Open defending champions defeated in semi-finals
- Mohamed Helmy announces decision to leave Zamalek
Gomaa sent off as Benfica edge Nacional in cup
Benfica started brightly and got their reward after 11 minutes asMaxi Pereira’s cross found Jonas who headed in from 6 yards to give the hosts the lead.
Minutes later, Benfica nearly doubled their advantage as Pereira cut inside but his shot hit the bar to deny the Uruguayan a rare goal.
The second half was much more even, as Nacional nearly stunned the hosts as confusion inside the Benfica box gave Mario Rondon a free shot but his effort didn’t hit the target.
However, Benfica replied instantly as Ola John finished well after some neat build up play by the hosts but the goal was disallowed for offside.
Benfica controlled most of the second half, and five minutes before full-time, Egyptian International Saleh Gomaa was sent off for an elbow on Benfica’s star Nico Gaitan to cap a frustrating evening for the visitors.
It’s well worth mentioning that Nacional currently lie in 3rd place in their Taça da Liga group with two games remaining.