Al Nasr have sealed promotion to the Egyptian Premier League after securing...
- OFFICIAL: Al Nasr secure promotion to Egyptian Premier League
- Egypt’s Omar Gaber wins Swiss league title with Basel
- Below-par Zamalek held to goalless draw by Tanta
- Al Masry miss chance to close gap on Zamalek with defeat against Ismaily
- Al Ahly set date for Zanaco Champions League encounter
- EXCLUSIVE | Ngoufonja to challenge Abou Rida in race to FIFA Council
- VIDEO: Elneny takes behind the goal shot challenge with ChrisMD
- PAOK to face AEK in Greek Cup final
- Five thousand allowed to attend Al Ahly’s CAFCL games
- Former Gabon international Moïse Brou Apanga dead at 35
IFFHS releases top African clubs rankings
Only two clubs, ES Sétif and Sfaxien, were among the top 100 sides in the world according to the latest IFFHS rankings.
The International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS) has revealed its 2014 club world rankings today, including a list of the top 10 clubs in Africa.
ES Sétif and CS Sfaxien were the only two teams to be included in the top 100 clubs in the world. The Algerian club, who won the 2014 CAF Champions League, was ranked 92nd in the world, followed by Sfaxien ranked 96th.
Zamalek also appeared on the list ranked 126th in the world and fifth in Africa and were rated one place above Al-Ahly in Africa. The Red Devils were ranked 130th worldwide and were ranked sixth in Africa despite securing the club’s first CAF Confederation Cup title in December.
Wadi Degla narrowly cleared the lower 10th percentile, coming in at 434th in the world.
Of the top five clubs in the world, Real Madrid earned a spot at the top of the list followed by Bayern Munich, Atlético Madrid, Barcelona and Colombian club Atlético Nacional.
The rankings are calculated by the IFFHS by club wins and draws based on different competition levels. For example, a UEFA Champions League win receives 14 points for each win, while a CAF Champions League win gains a club 9 points. Draws across all competitions allow a club to collect half the amount of points as a win, and losses are not factored.
Top 10 African clubs and their rankings and points calculated by the IFFHS:
|113||AS Vita Club, Kinshasa||DR Congo||119,50|
|120||Étoile Sportive du Sahel||Tunisia||117,50|
|126||Zamalek SC, al-Qāhirah||Egypt||115,50|
|130||Al Ahly SC, al-Qāhirah||Egypt||112,50|
|142||Kaizer Chiefs FC||South Africa||108,00|
|142||Espérance Sportive Tunis||Tunisia||108,00|
|154||Séwé Sport de San Pedro||Côte d’Ivoire||104,50|
|170||Cotonsport de Garoua||Cameroon||97,00|
The full list can be found here.