Lierse football club announced on their website that the team’s midfielder Amr...
- Petrojet appoints Hassan Shehata as new head coach
- OFFICIAL: Lierse confirm Amr Barakat move to Al Ahly
- Mali goalkeeper Diakite and midfielder Traoré injured before Egypt match
- Cuper: Expect more than 11 players participating in AFCON
- Mali coach: We have equal chances with Egypt and Ghana
- AFCON Roundup: Surprising results in Group C
- Sam Morsy commits future to Wigan until 2019
- Handball: Egypt beat Bahrain to edge closer to last 16
- Grant: There are no weak teams at this tournament
- Morsy, Fathi, Moruf excluded from Zamalek’s CL squad
Cameroon’s Samuel Eto’o joins Sampdoria from Everton
Samuel Eto’o joins U.C. Sampdoria from Everton on a two-and-a-half year deal for an undisclosed fee, the Italian club have announced.
Although his now former boss at Everton, Roberto Martinez, has made persistent efforts to convince the legendary Cameroonian striker – now retired from international football – to stay at Goodison Park, Eto’o decided to end his one-and-half year spell in English football by joining the Italian club.
Martinez spoke in an interview with Everton’s official website last Tuesday stating that nothing is imminent with Eto’o and the decision will be taken in the next two weeks before the transfer window closes.
However, Sampdoria have now welcomed Eto’o to the club, although Everton are yet to announce the deal.
At the same time of Martinez’s interview, reports were published in Italy stating that Sampdoria are confident of landing the striker in Genoa. Their sporting director Carlo Osti told Sky Italia that Eto’o wants to join the club and the deal was almost finalised with him; negotiations with Everton was the only step remaining to seal the deal.
— U.C. Sampdoria (@sampdoria) January 24, 2015
Everton have been boosted by the recent come back of Arouna Koné; the Ivorian striker has been side-lined due to knee injury since October 2013.
Samuel Eto’o joined Everton last August after his contract with Chelsea has ended, scoring against his former club on his debut. Eto’o made a total of 14 appearances and scored 3 goals for the Merseyside club.
UPADTE (Jan 27, 2015): Everton have today confirmed Eto’o’s departure.