AS Roma winger Stephan El Shaarawy has stated that he has a...
- El Shaarawy: My relationship with Salah is great, I am attached to Egypt
- Mayuka ruled out of Zambia’s friendly against Zimbabwe
- Mido: Hamed, El-Said the smartest in Egyptian football
- Misr El-Maqassa beat Al Masry to close gap on leaders Al Ahly
- Volleyball: Al Ahly reach African Championship semi-finals
- Champions League: Group-stages draw date announced
- Zamalek refuse to let Aboul-Fetouh join the national team
- Al Ahly: 3 Zamalek players under our radar
- Al Ahly: It is too soon to judge Coulibaly
- Mortada Mansour: Ultras Ahlawy is a menace to Egypt
VIDEO: Koka goal gives Rio Ave late win over Estoril
Rio Ave’s quest for European football next season is back on track, as the Vila do Conde club ended their three game win-less run with a hard-fought victory over Estoril.
The last time these two met, in August, Koka scored a hat-trick as Rio Ave ran out 5-1 winners — this game, however, was much closer.
Rio Ave were awarded a penalty on the half hour mark, after Yonathan Del Valle was fouled in the area by Yohan Tavares, the latter received a straight red, while the former dispatched the resulting penalty to give the home side the lead.
Just before half-time, and with his team in a comfortable position, Rio Ave defender Prince was given his marching orders for a foul on Sebá.
1-0 is how the first half ended, but with both sides now down to ten men, Estoril were very much back in the game.
Estoril levelled the game with 15 minutes remaining with Sebá tapping in a Tozé pass from close range, after some good play down the left in the build-up.
Both sides are aiming for the Europa League spots, therefore a draw suited neither side, and Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ gave the home side all three points with seconds remaining as he fired in from close range after some scrappy play inside the Estoril box. The Egyptian has now scored 12 goals this season and it’s easy to see why clubs are vying for his signature.
Rio Ave’s next game is against Braga on Wednesday in the Taça da Liga while their next league fixture is a trip to Boavista next Sunday.