Former Zamalek coach, Momen Soliman, showed his dissatisfaction towards describing the 2016 CAF Champions...
- Soliman: Sundowns are the best African club I’ve seen
- Elneny comes off bench as Arsenal thump Omar Gaber’s Basel
- VIDEO: Ceramica Cleopatra forfeit the league
- Ibrahim Salah excluded from Zamalek squad against Aswan
- OFFICIAL: Sporting CP sign Al Ahly target
- Kahraba: I did not reach my peak yet
- Ismaily threatens to forfeit the league
- Elmohamady’s Hull slump to disappointing loss against Middlesbrough
- Manuel Jose: Shikabala’s mentality wasted his talent
- Four Egyptians to play in FA Cup Third Round
VIDEO: Koka goal gives Rio Ave late win over Estoril
Rio Ave’s quest for European football next season is back on track, as the Vila do Conde club ended their three game win-less run with a hard-fought victory over Estoril.
The last time these two met, in August, Koka scored a hat-trick as Rio Ave ran out 5-1 winners — this game, however, was much closer.
Rio Ave were awarded a penalty on the half hour mark, after Yonathan Del Valle was fouled in the area by Yohan Tavares, the latter received a straight red, while the former dispatched the resulting penalty to give the home side the lead.
Just before half-time, and with his team in a comfortable position, Rio Ave defender Prince was given his marching orders for a foul on Sebá.
1-0 is how the first half ended, but with both sides now down to ten men, Estoril were very much back in the game.
Estoril levelled the game with 15 minutes remaining with Sebá tapping in a Tozé pass from close range, after some good play down the left in the build-up.
Both sides are aiming for the Europa League spots, therefore a draw suited neither side, and Ahmed Hassan ‘Koka’ gave the home side all three points with seconds remaining as he fired in from close range after some scrappy play inside the Estoril box. The Egyptian has now scored 12 goals this season and it’s easy to see why clubs are vying for his signature.
Rio Ave’s next game is against Braga on Wednesday in the Taça da Liga while their next league fixture is a trip to Boavista next Sunday.