Egypt international Mahmoud Trezeguet featured for Royal Mouscron as they suffered a...
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
- Koka on the losing end as Porto grab late winner
- Amr Warda features as Veria hold Panetolikos
- EXCLUSIVE | Arsenal legend Robert Pires praises ‘interesting’ Elneny
- Elneny comes on in Arsenal’s explosive win against West Ham
- Sam Morsy features as Barnsley win big at St Andrews
- AWCON: Nigeria emerge as champions of Africa
- Afriyie: I advice Al-Ahly to sign Ebenezer Assifuah
Salah named in Fiorentina’s Europa League squad, to wear ’74’ to commemorate Port Said victims
Mohamed Salah has been included in the Viola’s Europa League squad for the knockout stages of the tournament, and the attacker will wear the number 74 shirt to commemorate the victims of the Port Said tragedy.
Fiorentina are due to face English Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur in the round of 32 later this month, after progressing from Group K with 13 points from 6 games.
Salah remembers victims of Port Said disaster
The 22-year-old has opted to wear the number 74 jersey in an attempt to honour the memory of the Port Said disaster victims.
Recently retired Egyptian football legend Mohamed Abou-Treika, who told Salah yesterday he was ‘waiting for the surprise’, acknowledged the winger’s squad number choice (#74), and thanked him for the gesture.
٧٤..هي أشياء لاتشتري # شكرًا محمدصلاح
— AbouTrika Official (@trikaofficial) February 4, 2015
And its literal translation:
Abou Treika on Twitter, in reply to Salah's squad number choice: '74, is something you can't buy….. Thank you, Mohamed Salah.'
— KingFut.com (@King_Fut) February 4, 2015
It is worth noting Abou-Treika was known to use football as a tool for change and a medium to deliver a message, and the former Al Ahly icon deserted his signature jersey number of 22 to wear No72 instead when he moved to UAE side Baniyas, as a tribute to the victims of the Port Said massacre.
Salah was a talisman in European competitions for FC Basel, especially against English opposition – scoring 4 goals in 6 games against Chelsea and Tottenham – before moving to the former.
You can find the rest of the squad list here.