Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
Hervé Renard available to Egypt via buyout clause
Coaching journey-man, Hervé Renard, who was earlier quoted as expressing interest in Egypt’s top coaching job is available through a buyout clause.
In a TV interview Egyptian FA board member, Mahmoud El-Shamy, was quoted saying, “Renard and his assistants are under contract with Cote d’Ivore until 2016, and the buyout clause is worth 100,000 euros.”
The flirtation with the Ivory Coast coach continues even as Hervé himself has said there has been no contact made with the Egyptian FA.
The coach has proven himself successful on the continent achieving AFCON successes with both an underdog and a powerhouse nation and El-Shamy acknowledged this, “Renard is an excellent coach; he’s managed to win the AFCON with two different teams- Zambia and Cote d’Ivore- in the past few years.”
He started out his African expedition as an assistant to Claude Le Roy during AFCON 2008 and in a short space of time has etched his name in African football history; being the only person to win the AFCON with two countries.
Hervé Renard has stated his ambitions to succeed up to the highest levels, thus, has shown interest in settling in Europe. Unfortunately, his last excursion saw him relegated with Sochaux but this has not scared away suitors.
Unconfirmed sources have claimed that he is in line to take over from St. Etienne coach, Christophe Galtier, at the end of the season.
There is little doubt Renard is Egypt’s most preferred candidate for the Pharaohs’ job but should he not be forthcoming, there’s a host of other famous European names on the shortlist. Uli Stielike, Frank Rijkaard, Alain Giresse and George Leekens are all on the radar of the Egyptian FA.