Al Ahly have revealed an official request from Spanish club Villarreal CF...
- Villarreal invite Al Ahly’s Nasser Maher to trial period
- UAE side Al Ain withdraw from Arab Club Championship
- Salah nets brace as Roma comfortably defeat Pescara 4-1
- Coulibaly scores again as Al Ahly edge past Tanta
- Abdel-Shafy features as Al Ahli suffer a shocking defeat to Bunyodkor
- VIDEO: Abdelfattah howler helps Zamalek beat Al Masry 1-0
- EFA suspend Ismaily’s midfielder, Ahmed Hossam Mido
- Smouha stunned by fifth ACL injury this season
- Basketball: Sporting Club wins Egypt Cup after beating Al Ahly
- Warda comments on MOTM award after Platanias win
Fiorentina boss Montella: Signing Salah was a ‘coup’
The swap deal, which saw Mohamed Salah join Fiorentina on a six-month loan deal as part of a €33.4 million deal that took Juan Cuadrado to Stamford Bridge, was completed on the transfer deadline day of the 2015 winter transfer window.
Although Vincenzo Montella has previously lamented the loss of Cuadrado to Chelsea, he is content with replacing the Colombian international with several other players, including Egypt international Mohamed Salah.
“Well, I think we pulled off a bit of coup ourselves in signing Salah,” said Montella, ahead of their Europa League tie with Tottenham.
“Joking aside, it is almost a side of professional pride that someone wanted to pay so much for Cuadrado and that he developed so much as a player.
The Viola coach went on to explain: “Salah is a very good player, he is used to playing at this level and although he has only been with us a short while, he has already shown very quickly that he is certainly up to playing very well in Italy and playing well for us.”
Montella feels very prideful in the Juan Cuadrado transfer, because of the profit Fiorentina were able to accumulate. He explained: “He [Cuadrado] wasn’t at that level when he first arrived to play for us, so I think us, the management, the players are very proud about how far he has been able to go with out help.”
Fiorentina are set to travel to London for the Europa League round of 32 match against Tottenham Hotspurs on Thursday, February the 19th.