Egyptian International Mohamed Abdelshafy returned to Al Ahli’s lineup as they beat...
- Mohamed Abdelshafy features as Al Ahli beat Bunyodkor
- Ifeanyi Ubah: Al Masry scored through a controversial penalty
- Lionel Messi speaks about Egypt’s greatness and pyramids
- Cameroon announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- Veteran striker Emad Meteb discusses his future at Al Ahly
- South Africa announce squad for 2017 U-20 AFCON
- FIFA upholds decision to deduct points from Ittihad Jeddah
- Al Ahly coach El-Badry targets Zamalek & Degla defenders
- Agent: Mohamed Hany on radar of several European clubs
- Mali Legend Momo Sissoko joins Serie B club
Egypt FA reverses course again, claims new coach will be foreigner
Ahmed Megahed, a member of the Egyptian Football Association (EFA), has confirmed that the new national team coach will be a foreigner, effectively putting an end to the rumors suggesting that Hassan Shehata will take over.
“At first, we believed that a foreign coach is better for the national team in the upcoming period, the stoppage of the league however made things difficult,” Megahed said in televised comments,
“Things are final now, the return of the [Egyptian Premier] league has eliminated the option of having a local coach,” he added.
The EFA pointed out that the halting of the League has had a negative financial effect on the association. Nevertheless, Megahed believes that with the league back in action, things will return back to normal.
The EFA made it clear last month that the new coach will be someone from the recently concluded 2015 AFCON.
Former Senegal manager Alian Giresse has recently been tipped as a possible candidate for the hot-seat.
It is worth mentioning that former coach Shehata, who led the national team to a historic three consecutive AFCON titles, was a potential candidate according to the EFA.
Shehata expressed his desire to return to his former post a few days ago when he talked to the Egyptian press.