Al Ahly football manager Sayed Abdel-Hafiz announced the team’s CAF Champions League...
- Al Ahly squad for CAFCL announced
- AFCON Roundup: Favourites fail to impress in group B
- OFFICIAL: Hamada Tolba joins ENPPI on free transfer
- Handball: Denmark beat Egypt in World Championship
- Cúper: We’re positive that we can stop Mali’s players
- Ekramy leaves Egypt training session because of hamstring injury
- AFCON Roundup: Group A teams share spoils
- EXCLUSIVE: Chinese club in negotiations to sign Aly Ghazal
- Pharaohs Abroad Roundup: Sam Morsy features, Lierse draw
- Zamalek and Ismaily handed transfer bans
Egypt U23s progress after 1-1 draw with Kenya U23
Egypt’s U23 team drew against a determined Kenyan side to keep alive their dreams for All-Africa Games gold.
The match, played in Machakos on the outskirts of Nairobi, ended in a 1-all draw with both goals coming from the penalty spot.
Egypt U23 XI: Mossad Awad; Ragab Nabil, Mahmoud Hamdy, Abdel-Gomaa Mohammed, Mohamed Ashraf, Mahmoud Kahraba, Ramadan Sobhi, Hussein Ragab, Yasser Ahmed, Abdelrahaman Mohammed, Mahmoud Hamad.
Egypt were the stronger side at the start of the game and created a few dangerous moments, from which they failed to score, before Kahraba eventually netted his third goal from two matches. The future Egyptian talisman, was brought down in the area and stepped up to give his side the lead; sending the goalkeeper the wrong way.
The lead didn’t last long though as Kenya gave an equal response 6 minutes later. On form Gor Mahia striker, Michael Olunga, was brought down by Mossad Awad and Omumba slotted home from the ensuing penalty. He too, wrong-footing the goalkeeper.
In the second half, Kenya, who had their stars back for this fixture, upped the ante and came close thrice to taking the lead. All three occasions falling to Michael Olunga. The visitors, as well, created their fair number of chances but the game increasingly looked set to end in a draw as the match progressed.
The Young Pharaohs thus qualified with a 4-1 aggregate win, after last week’s 3-goal thrashing, and will face the winner of DR Congo and Burundi in the next round.