Mohamed Sanad’s Club Balonmano Naturhouse La Rioja beat Macedonian HC Metalrug to qualify to champions...
- Mohamed Sanad’s La Rioja qualify to play-offs in Champions League
- Ibrahim Nour El-Dein: I did not hesitate to rule this penalty
- Mansour: Zamalek won’t continue the league
- Late Ekramy heroics seal crucial win for Ahly over Maqassa
- Baldissoni: We have no intention to replace Salah
- Mohamed Shawky joins Wadi Degla’s coaching staff
- Ekramy back in Al Ahly’s squad for Misr El-Maqassa
- Trezeguet’s Mouscron lose to St.Truiden, extend winless streak
- Squash: Egypt win World Championship title after beating England
- VIDEO: Zamalek smash Dakhleya in Helmy’s return as head coach
Official: Cúper appointed Egypt national team manager
The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) have officially appointed Argentine manager Héctor Cúper as the new manager of the Egyptian national team.
EFA media chief Azmy Megahed had announced Cúper as the Pharaohs’ new manager earlier this month, before another board member, Mahmoud El-Shamy, pointed out the hire was still pending. In case the negotiations were to fall through, the EFA had decided on Alain Giresse as a second option, followed by Franklin Rijkaard.
However, on Tuesday, the ex-Valencia manager officially signed the contracts at the Cairo Marriott Hotel in Zamalek, in the presence of EFA vice president Hassan Farid, Ahmed Mogahed, Ehab Laheta and other board members.
Mahmoud El-Shamy previously mentioned that, if Egypt fail to qualify for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, the Argentine’s contract – reported to be $65,000 per month – will be terminated.
The 59-year-old reached two UEFA Champions League finals at the turn of the century with Valencia, although he lost on both occasions.
The Egyptian national team failed to qualify for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations under former manager Shawky Gharib.
The draw for the qualification rounds of the 2017 edition will be held next month, after the host nation is announced.